When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with year identification

-

obbeachlover

On Training Wheels
My dad found this schwinn in its original form but ended up stripping the paint & cutting down the seat post to make the frame shorter for my mother the seat & other parts are original but I can't locate the serial number in the logical places (neck, bottom of crank or rear) - any thoughts
I'm bummed he modified the frame & repainted it but would like to know its vintage

IMG_1353[1].JPG

IMG_1354[1].JPG

IMG_1355[1].JPG

if its 1952 or later the serial should be on left rear dropout, maybe under paint. before 52 under bottom bracket. maybe he filled and sanded smooth before painting covering stamped numbers.

if its 1952 or later the serial should be on left rear dropout, maybe under paint. before 52 under bottom bracket. maybe he filled and sanded smooth before painting covering stamped numbers.
It’s not in any of those locations- he said he didn’t file anything wondering if there’s a chance it’s pre-war? We’re any stamped with the number on the seat post housing?

Looks like it might be the last year for the Schmurray. Head tube and bottom bracket joints are not Chicago Schwinn. Serial # should be on the head tube.

Looks like it might be the last year for the Schmurray. Head tube and bottom bracket joints are not Chicago Schwinn. Serial # should be on the head tube.
My dad found this schwinn in its original form but ended up stripping the paint & cutting down the seat post to make the frame shorter for my mother the seat & other parts are original but I can't locate the serial number in the logical places (neck, bottom of crank or rear) - any thoughts
I'm bummed he modified the frame & repainted it but would like to know its vintage

View attachment 1065081

View attachment 1065082

View attachment 1065083
That's a late 50's too 80's Schwinn girl frame, and likely mid 60's. Presuming parts are original to bike, right about 1965. I don't see any modifications on frame but your photos aren't profiling the bike very well.

For the chain guard, chrome fenders and rack it probably an American or Hollywood deluxe, maybe a jag or corvette but it's no longer of importance, originality is gone. . And he either cut off the tank hangers from top bar or was not issued with slime line tank. Your serial number is on the drop out and if you can't see it then B/C he's got some thick paint on the bike. Yet not very important B/C these girl bikes have little collectible value and once painted even less.

Older girl frames than yours had a cross bar in-between the two, top and bottom bars. Yet as Schwinn used same frame and parts ,once you arrive at exact date, which girl bikes were availed then you can get decals and call it what ya want, B/C the main difference was which ever name Schwinn put on the chain guard.

Last edited:
That's a late 50's too 80's Schwinn girl frame, and likely mid 60's. Presuming parts are original to bike, right about 1965. I don't see any modifications on frame but your photos aren't profiling the bike very well.

For the chain guard, chrome fenders and rack it probably an American or Hollywood deluxe, maybe a jag or corvette but it's no longer of importance, originality is gone. . And he either cut off the tank hangers from top bar or was not issued with slime line tank. Your serial number is on the drop out and if you can't see it then B/C he's got some thick paint on the bike. Yet not very important B/C these girl bikes have little collectible value and once painted even less.

Older girl frames than yours had a cross bar in-between the two, top and bottom bars. Yet as Schwinn used same frame and parts ,once you arrive at exact date, which girl bikes were availed then you can get decals and call it what ya want, B/C the main difference was which ever name Schwinn put on the chain guard.

Just look at the down tube and seat tube joints at the bottom bracket. Then look at the tube to head tube joints, this frame is not a Chicago Schwinn.

The chain guard was new in '59. No one has noticed the rat trap front rack mounted on the back? The rear rack with built in reflectors is mid 60's, but the clover leaf chain ring pedates the "mag wheel" chain ring from 1969. I'm guessing a 64 or 65 Deluxe Starlet missing the tank.

My bets say the serial number is on the left rear drop out covered with thick paint.

Looks like the rat-trap rack should be mounted in front, not in rear; an additional bracket would connect fasten it to the head tube.

Back