When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swinn bicycle 1955 Black Phantom

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Marine Electric

Look Ma, No Hands!
This belong to anyone here? I've tried to contact the seller via eBay a few times to get additional pics and info but got no response. If it's the real deal, I'm interested -- and I'm local. But something seems screwy here....I just don't know what it is?

Swinn(sic) bicycle 1955 Black Phantom
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=323284015961

s-l1600.jpg

I have seen the 1995 reissue black phantom sell for more money the an original real deal phantom. I am not sure why, but it has happened on several occasions.

I have seen the 1995 reissue black phantom sell for more money the an original real deal phantom. I am not sure why, but it has happened on several occasions.
A lot of boomers want to ride a shiney Phantom. They don't want the expense of a restoration or not even sure how to go about one. They don't mind spending up to $1,500 for a repro vs buying an original for $700 + that really needs everything redone. Whether it's a 55 or 95 could mean nothing to them. Frankly to the non purist the only difference I see in them is a 36 year span. Why do you think so many get parted out? Sure, you can have an original 49-59 frame and load it with repro parts. A little hypocritical to me but I don't begrudge anyone on how they want to spend their money.

I thought the reissue phantoms were bringing in around $2k... I could be wrong about that number though as I havent bought another phantom in over 25 years, especially after they repopped them and a lot of us guys lost a lot of money on orig phantom and krate parts.

I have no expertise here -- what tips you off so easily?

o_O
Old style fork pre-55 is used in 95 repo and all the chromed parts appear repo quality. Yet every thing's new is the 1st clue.
The cincher on a 95 black phantom is; the frame is embossed. The bottom bracket, under bike, serial numbers and embossed 1895-1995.

BTW,

<<<<< That's a 55

Last edited:
Old style fork pre-55 is used in 95 repo and all the chromed parts appear repo quality. Yet every thing's new is the 1st clue.
The cincher on a 95 black phantom is; the frame is embossed. The bottom bracket, under bike, serial numbers and embossed 1895-1995.

BTW,

<<<<< That's a 55

Thanks for sharing your expertise. Here's another one I'm looking at - what say you about this one?

s-l1600.jpg

Back