When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sturmey archer chain indicator problem

-

Notagamerguy

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Ive been working on and old 57 or 58 schwinn Corvette 3 speed bike with a 3 speed sturmey archer hub from 57. This is the first one i baught with no chain indicator and when i try to screw in one i already had, it doesn't catch anything. I cant tell if im using the wrong chain indicator or if i need to take apart the and replace the threads and advice would be appreciated

20190922_131515.jpg

20190922_131538.jpg

You have a hub assembly problem, you should not be able to see the caged bearing when you look down on the gear side. It also looks like that bearing is broke.

Sadly thats not it. thats a superficial part not internal.i rigged a bendix gear and im using a old 1 in bearing ring as a spacer because im waiting on the corect sturmey archer parts. I wanted to set everything up to see if it works before because i was impatient yesterday

On a side not i did a little more digging and i think im using an AW chain indicator instead of a SW one. If anyone could confirm this that would be great because a new chain indicator is about 15$

Uh-oh drive side spacer-bearing-thingy...what in the world is that? Try laying the bike on its left side then drop the indicater chain into the axle and spin it again with a bit o weight on it.

Uh-oh drive side spacer-bearing-thingy...what in the world is that? Try laying the bike on its left side then drop the indicater chain into the axle and spin it again with a bit o weight on it.

Thats spacer is a work of art in my eyes. The gear is perfectly secure and the bike rides great other than it cant shift. No worries though ill be changing that shortly. And im positive now that the chain indicator is wrong im just waiting for the proper one to arrive, thank you for the tip though.

Back