When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uniroyal nobby?

-

Cooper S.

I live for the CABE
I found a set on my most recent Klunker, and I got a few questions I was hoping someone could help answer. When did they stop making these tires and are the schwinn studded tires a copy of them or is it the other way around? Thanks!

DEA178F3-6D4D-4D41-A4D3-25D2D82D72D9.jpeg

03A38D75-34C9-4FD2-998B-438AED8234A1.jpeg

I don't have answers for you but interested to know
i have some Carlisle, Schwinn and Unirorals, and they are all similar

Last edited:
I don't have answers for you but interested to know
i have some Carlisle, Schwinn and Unirorals, and they are all similar
What's the name of the model of the Carlisle and Schwinn?
I got one NOS 26" blackwall Uniroyal and been looking for another one for ages. A similar one from the same period would help a lot.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

One thing to consider.....Schwinn was making knobbies for the 20" Stingrays as early as 63'.....
so the question should be....were 26" Schwinn knobbies available then? or not until after
they stopped putting the Uniroyals on the Spitfires etc in 78 or 9

Good point, I'm building a clunker with parts from around 78.
So with period correct I mean what was available around that year.

Sometimes tire designs were licensed to other companies. I've seen Lightning sidewall tires, normally by Carlisle, but stamped 'Pharis Tire & Rubber Co.'

In case anyone is wondering about what im doing with these tires, dont worry theres a 41 dx waiting for them...

Knobby's were avaliable before StingRays, I have seen them in OG photos from late 50's, especially on Hornets & cycle trucks ( 26 & 20 ), I have had a couple of very original Hornets with Knobbys that looked OG or dealer instaled. Here's a pic of Beaver, Larry & his Hornet with Knobbys probably around 1959-60!, as far as Schwinn Studded Balloon/Knobby for StingRay/Spitfire/Cruiser they were made for Schwinn by at least 3 company's, US Rubber, Carlisle and Goodyear. always loved how the basket legs are mounted because of the cycle truck goose neck!, cool butterfly bars also!
6F377708-68DC-460A-A70C-851AAB67DA85.jpeg
97008F18-46FC-4703-B0EF-8FF555B44E3C.png

Last edited:
Good point, I'm building a clunker with parts from around 78.
So with period correct I mean what was available around that year.

I put the original incarnation (got hit by a car) of the bike in the foreground together in '77. Yes. I went to the store and purchased Uniroyal Knobbies. I rode down Mount Tam a lot. Always refered to my bike as a "Cruiser" or "Bomber" don't remember ever hearing the word "Klunker". I do remember getting rather pissed off when this guy at Warehouse Records near my Highschool called me a "Dead Head" for hounding him about this giant "Blues For Allah" poster they had in the window. I had a few of their albums but had never heard the term before.
IMG_20170729_040206.jpg

Reactions: mrg
Back