When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie would like more information on new Hiawatha bike.

-

John V

On Training Wheels
Hello everyone!

I love things from the 40's and 50's.. Cars, advertisements, license plates, Leave it to Beaver, etc. I stumbled across a Hiawatha tank bike for sale while I was looking for a bike for my daughter on craigslist. I could not believe how beautiful the bike was and I had to go see it right away. It had only been listed for a few hours. I normally research things to ridiculous levels before making a purchase. In this case, I did not. I may have got a great deal or I may have overpaid. I really do not care too much because the price was reasonable for something I would have a great time riding and would make me smile every time I looked at it. (beauty is in the eye of the beholder).
I have done what I can to search for information, but it is not easy to find. I am looking form help from the forum.
I would like to know how to best refer to this model. Is it a "Horn Tank"?
What year was it manufactured?
What kind of value does a bike like this usually have?
I have included many photos to help.
Thanks gang!!

IMG_9759.jpg

IMG_9757.jpg

IMG_9755.jpg

IMG_9794.PNG

IMG_9795.PNG

IMG_9796.PNG

IMG_9761.jpg

IMG_9783.PNG

IMG_9790.jpg

Postwar Cleveland Welding Built bicycle for Gambles Department Stores. Restored but not to original spec. At least headlight is incorrect.

The seller thought it to be from 1947. Is there any way to tell for sure?

What would an original headlight look like?

So 1953 is the year then. Thank you Oilit!

The chrome is really clean. There is not a spot on the bike that looks like it needs attention.

When referring to the bike, what should I call it? Is there a name or model that would convey what this is?

It may have been the equivalent of a Roadmaster Pleasure Liner, but the Hiawatha model name and paint scheme may have been different. Here's some information on the Roadmaster version: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/l...53-cwc-roadmaster-catalog.142470/#post-973027
You could also look at some of the early Luxury Liners. The Shockmaster fork was usually on the higher end models, if it's original to the bike.

Actually this is more the equivalent of the Western Flyer Super. Like was stated above the bike was made by the Cleveland Welding Co. (CWC) and made in 1953 as indicated by the serial number. I've never seen an ad for one of these but likely called a "Deluxe Tank Bike" or something similar. This is a refurbished bike and not a restoration. The light, seat, and paint are not correct but it is a nice looking bike that should be enjoyed. V/r Shawn

1953 Cleveland Welding (or CWC or AMF/CWC)-built Men's/Boy's Tall-tank model, beach cruiser.
When referring to the bike, what should I call it? Is there a name or model that would convey what this is?
Some might call it a straight bar/tube model, but there are a lot of other references like that, (and to other straight tubes).
The model was so classic that very-close reproductions were made later.
Note that the re-chromed Gambles' Hiawatha badge reads "Shelby" (another manufacturer).
I believe most AMF/CWC bikes have 2+7/8" badge holes (measure); and Shelby's could have been shorter.
There are threads on the Shelby>Gambles>AMF/CWC connection on this site.

Last edited:
Back