When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spokes for Forebrake

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

dogdart

I live for the CABE
What size spokes are needed to lace a Forebrake into a S2 wheel , and should they be double or single butted ?

Like O said 10 5/8"--double butted. V/r Shawn

Hey Shawn .... why do you suggest double-butted ?? That thins the spokes out in the middle 70% of the overall spoke length ... especially with a hub brake involved ... I would highly suggest single butted for extra wheel strength. Just my 2 cents worth ... Cheers! CCR Dave

Hey Shawn .... why do you suggest double-butted ?? That thins the spokes out in the middle 70% of the overall spoke length ... especially with a hub brake involved ... I would highly suggest single butted for extra wheel strength. Just my 2 cents worth ... Cheers! CCR Dave
Used double butted for racing and just about e everything in between super strong and period look .

That’s what most bikes used back then and they are just as strong (more resistance to fatigue as they allow some flex) as straight gauge.

That’s what most bikes used back then and they are just as strong (more resistance to fatigue as they allow some flex) as straight gauge.

Interesting insight .... Do you think the use of straight gauge versus double-butted varied by the wheel (bike) manufacturer ??
I'm constantly rebuilding mostly Postwar balloon wheels and I rarely find double butted spokes (originally spec'd) in them ...
Thank you for your thoughts... CCR Dave

Used double butted for racing and just about e everything in between super strong and period look .

Hey Shawn @Freqman1 and bikejunk and pedal4416 .... I need to correct myself for a mistake I made in a comment above...
I just went through a pile of old wheels in my garage waiting to be rebuilt and relaced ... and you guys are absolutely right, that most of them were double-butted spokes. I guess I have missed that fact on a lot of them because the rust build-up on the spokes makes it hard to spot that they are double butted. But I had some CWC stock wheels, Columbia, and drop center Murray that the spokes weren't covered in rust... and they were indeed double butted. It seems like possibly in the late '50's or early '60's more use of straight gauge spokes was more prevalent?? Thank you for calling my attention to this detail ... Cheers! CCR Dave

this came up in another wheel thread, here's the scoop on double butted spokes:

In his book 'The bicycle wheel' Jobst Brandt, says that double butted spokes will be more resistant to fatigue failure when built into a wheel.
This is because spokes break because of the cyclic stress they suffer as the wheel rotates.
As the spoke rotates thru the bottom of the wheel it experiences a reduction in tension.
Butted spokes are more elastic so this reduction in tension is spread over more spokes, each experiencing a smaller reduction in tension.
Wheels are an order of magnitude stiffer than the tyres they roll on, so any stiffness differences will not be noticeable. A wheel built with butted spokes will be able to carry a heavier load before any of the spokes become slack. At this point the rim is no longer restrained and the wheel will be more likely to collapse.

Back