When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rocket Ray and Evaporust

-

Boris

Old fat tired rider
Will the Evaporust harm the reflective lens?

I wouldn't expose the mirror to anything, not even OA and that stuff is pretty soft on things. What I found is that sometimes a film can form on metal and other parts in the solution. On metal it can usually be easy to scrub / buff / polish away. Sometimes a haze can stick around. I would be concerned it would dull the finish or something and then you can't get it back. You can always try and hang it in a solution or support it upright so the mirror sticks out. I have done that for some stuff.

Will the Evaporust harm the reflective lens?
View attachment 1095285
I would not use evaporust for the reflector. I have seen where it seeps in under any imperfection and ruins the reflectiveness. I have had good luck using a product called Scratch Doctor, in an orange bottle. It is a super fine polishing compound, gentler than Turtle Wax polishing compound, etc. Use a super soft rag and go very easy with it.

I wonder if you could coat the mirror with petroleum jelly or bike grease to limit the amount of exposure of the rust eater... Then you could wipe the stuff off the mirror and use soap to break it down then polish it up. It would be an experiment, but just a thought.

I wonder if you could coat the mirror with petroleum jelly or bike grease to limit the amount of exposure of the rust eater... Then you could wipe the stuff off the mirror and use soap to break it down then polish it up. It would be an experiment, but just a thought.
Good idea! I usta' have a spare beater reflective lens that I coulda' done this with, but said, "I'll never need this", and got rid of it.
Don't want to risk this light, so I'll just make sure that I avoid contact between the lens and the Evaporust. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
"I'll never need this", and got rid of it.
Yes, isn't that always the case right when you get rid of something...

If you do it, make sure it's a thick layer. In using OA it still seems to have a "degreasing" effect and breaks down old grease some, but not fully. I assume evaporust is similar. The only other stuff I have used was WD40's version of evaporust. If you left the metal in there for too long it starts turning it black, which scrubs off mostly. So the thicker the better, so it doesn't break it down or penetrate into it.

Yes, isn't that always the case right when you get rid of something...

If you do it, make sure it's a thick layer. In using OA it still seems to have a "degreasing" effect and breaks down old grease some, but not fully. I assume evaporust is similar. The only other stuff I have used was WD40's version of evaporust. If you left the metal in there for too long it starts turning it black, which scrubs off mostly. So the thicker the better, so it doesn't break it down or penetrate into it.
if it does go 2 the hobby shop and get a sheet of chrome foil and recover it,chrome foil is used to add chrome to model car trim

Back