When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Score of the century

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It would have been appropriate for the buyer to be honest and appreciative to give the seller $2
000 or more as a goodwill gesture as the seller was ignorant on its value. Or even tell him, to relist the bike and start at or get a minimum of $5K.

I don't think that would ever happen even on hallowed ground. Does a seller give an ignorant buyer a rebate after he rips them off?

It's ebay, not Christie's Auction. If that's what the seller wanted, they got it. When they put it on ebay they were to expect whatever outcome they got, it's a CONTRACT.

Now it probably doesn't matter where it goes after that, you own it, you have that right. I can only hope that it will be ridden and appreciated, but again, I have no say.

So it doesn't matter now, it was a FAIR transaction and I would gather the sale was completed, no?

It sounds like the seller wanted Grandpa's bike to be of use to somebody and it wasn't to them. Lucky, yes. Probably altruistic, I suppose. Not everyone thinks of old bikes as a cash machine. Sorry, I respect your business sense but I've also had a lot of fun since I bought a Rollfast middleweight from the late 50s for $50 on ebay in 2008 and named her TEMPEST.

Like I said, at that price, there is plenty of profit margin. Even if the buyer stepped up and paid extra for the bike. Hell, Mike Wolfe does it quite a bit on the show if he knows someone is light on pricing, he happily pays more. But odds are the new owner will either flip or part it out for huge money. I mean honestly, what's it worth? 8-10k? That clean of an original bike? Can you imagine it detailed????

One interesting fact.... it has a Hawthorne Zep speedometer.....???? Hmm.....

Now that's COOL.

Whoever got this for the $525.00 Buy it now... should have played the lotto too. I can't believe nobody else posted this yet, unless I missed the thread. So here you go. Lucky new owner, please stand up. And HOPEFULLY.....this doesn't end up in the deadly departed thread. I'm not a schwinn guy buy the profit to be had would have paid a lot of bills off. But knowing me, I would have kept it, because at that price, and the story, can't be duplicated if you tried.

View attachment 1096189

View attachment 1096190

View attachment 1096191

View attachment 1096192

View attachment 1096193

UPDATE:

A collector I know back east emailed me different pix of the bike last week and mentioned it had been offered
to him for sale (with same 1 owner story) only for 12K.
He also said the owner was in OHIO....so who ever won it, someone in Ohio, was trying to go for the BIG FLIP
to my friend who does step up on some good bikes occasionally...
But come one 12G?
Unusual 41 for sure a 1st for me with Deluxe guard and 41 fenders like that, plus lost dog

FINDING THAT BIKE IS LIKE FINDING THE POT AT THE END OF THE RAINBOW.
WHO EVER FOUND IT AND BOUGHT IT SURELY WOULD HAVE GIVEN THE SELLER UPON PICK-UP
A GENEROUS BONUS CONSIDERING THE LACK OF SELLERS KNOWLEDGE OF VALUE.
HOPEFULLY IT WAS NOT BOUGHT TO FLIP OR PART OUT. IT SHOULD BE POSITIVELY
BE PRESERVED AND ENJOYED AMONG OUR FELLOW COLLECTORS.

I HAD A SIMILAR SITUATION AT ONE TIME. AND WANTED THE SELLER TO KNOW THAT
THE BIKE WAS A COLLECTABLE AND MADE THE SELLER FEEL KNOWLEDGEABLE AND
COMFORTABLE ABOUT THE VALUE RECEIVED. AND THAT THE BIKE WOULD BE PRESERVED FOR
POSTERITY, WHICH IT WAS TO THIS DAY. AND ANY TRUE COLLECTOR SHOULD FEEL GOOD ABOUT
THE ACQUISITION AND PROVENANCE OF THE BIKE.

Back