When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAUTION Advised, buying from Facebook... RANT...

-

PAValentine

Finally riding a big boys bike
In October I found a 'sponsored' item for sale on facebook that perfectly fit my needs as a bicycle helmet. It was advertised as a folding bicycle helmet with a baseball cap style bill, and it showed a photo of such an item. The photo showed a structured helmet with a long bill and had proper neck-straps. (I ride early, often during sunrise, and needed the bill to shade my eyes from the rising sun)
The seller was on Facebook, so I was trusting even though I never dealt with them before. Sooo, I ordered a small maroon-colored helmet. $29.95 plus shipping. for a total of around $35.85.
I immediately received an order confirmation email with a link that was supposed to go to my ordering info. As usual, I filed it away.
After several weeks of nothing, I decided to contact the seller about the shipment. The link to my order on the confirmation email went to a '404' page. The seller returned my contact message with a 'form' letter saying the item was coming from China and would take several weeks. CHINA!!!! Nothing was said on Facebook about CHINA!!!
About a week later I got a package from China that contained an ordinary plain RED COLTH BASEBALL CAP!!!
I attempted to contact the seller with no reply. Two days later I repeated my contact attempt, but this time I said I would start a dispute with PayPal if I heard nothing. This time I got a carbon copy of their first reply to my inquiry.(????) Sooo, I gave them another two weeks for the helmet to arrive...Nothing Came!

Yesterday I created a claim with Paypal. This morning I got a Paypal message telling me to send back the baseball cap, and when the seller received it my $35.85 would be credited back to my card.
BUT...I was required to pay the return shipping. TO CHINA!!! So it cost me $15 to get my $35 refund!!!

THE PAYPAL GUARANTEE SUCKS!!! I should have not used Paypal to make the purchase! I would have been better off to have just used my CC for the purchase and created the dispute with the bank!

Moral of the story...Don't buy anything from Facebook Adds unless you Know The Seller... And don't use Paypal if you have another option.

This works for me.
My PayPal account is paid via a credit card. So in your case I simply call Visa and dispute the charge. I've never ever had a problem. I would not...would not link PayPal to a bank draft.
If you want something like what you describe, don't mind waiting weeks from China try Wish (there's even a Wish app).
Best bet though would be Amazon or eBay, making note of their reviews.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

This works for me.
My PayPal account is paid via a credit card. So in your case I simply call Visa and dispute the charge. I've never ever had a problem. I would not...would not link PayPal to a bank draft.
If you want something like what you describe, don't mind waiting weeks from China try Wish (there's even a Wish app).
Best bet though would be Amazon or eBay, making note of their reviews.

Yeah! I pay by credit card only with PayPal. I have it linked to a bank account that has less than $100 in it but I never pay for anything out of that.
If I don't get my credit, then I'll go to the bank, but since I have initiated a refund using Pay Pal I figure I wouldn't be able to do it from the bank. In PP wasn't involved, that would be the way to go.
The problem with China in this instance is that I didn't know ahead of time that's where it would be coming from. But these guys sent me a baseball cap instead of a helmet!!!
I'll check Wish out. I do go Amazon or ebay normally, but this was more to my liking than anything I found on those two.

If you ordered from Facebook using PayPal for payment, and your PayPal payment is by credit card...I wouldn't even be talking to PayPal. Your payment was make by a credit card, so I would call Visa, MC, Disc, whoever it is and dispute the charge. In my experience they would issue an immediate credit of $35.85. They then contact seller/merchant explaining chargeback and reason. It's then seller's responsibility to reply.
I'm thinking maybe you'd have been better off just buying a bicycle helmet...local bike shop 1st choice, then (sporting goods store, Walmart, etc.). Helmet with visor or just buy a separate visor.

If you ordered from Facebook using PayPal for payment, and your PayPal payment is by credit card...I wouldn't even be talking to PayPal. Your payment was make by a credit card, so I would call Visa, MC, Disc, whoever it is and dispute the charge. In my experience they would issue an immediate credit of $35.85. They then contact seller/merchant explaining chargeback and reason. It's then seller's responsibility to reply.
I'm thinking maybe you'd have been better off just buying a bicycle helmet...local bike shop 1st choice, then (sporting goods store, Walmart, etc.). Helmet with visor or just buy a separate visor.

However, it was PayPal that payed the seller using money I got from the card?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However, it was PayPal that payed the seller using money I got from the card?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just now went to my PayPal and logged in.
Yesterday I ordered a gift for my wife. Here it is...

December 8, 2019

HorseLadyGifts

-negative $99.38

Payment

Paid withFIDELITY Visa Signature CardVISA Credit Card x-6543 You'll see "PAYPAL *ETSY" on your card statement.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
So the $99.38 purchase made to HorseLadyGifts was paid through using my Visa card ending in 6543.
When I get my Visa statement this will be on it. I don't know how I can explain it more clearly to you. Yes...paypal...but through my credit card which is where HorseLady gets paid. Through PayPal via Visa.
If I have any problems with HorseLady, of course I would contact her FIRST. If she doesn't make good that's when I call Visa and chargeback.

I just now went to my PayPal and logged in.
Yesterday I ordered a gift for my wife. Here it is...

December 8, 2019

HorseLadyGifts

-negative $99.38

Payment

Paid withFIDELITY Visa Signature CardVISA Credit Card x-6543 You'll see "PAYPAL *ETSY" on your card statement.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
So the $99.38 purchase made to HorseLadyGifts was paid through using my Visa card ending in 6543.
When I get my Visa statement this will be on it. I don't know how I can explain it more clearly to you. Yes...paypal...but through my credit card which is where HorseLady gets paid. Through PayPal via Visa.
If I have any problems with HorseLady, of course I would contact her FIRST. If she doesn't make good that's when I call Visa and chargeback.

I created a Claim via PayPal first, not knowing how it worked since I've never been in a case where I have had to do that before. Now I know how it works...
I can't get a refund from both PayPal and my CC. If it was even possible, it wouldn't be right!!!
If I had known how PP worked I would have tried the CC method first. I know how that works from experience.
Paypal sucks in this respect! That's my point aside from not trusting Facebook Adds!

Back