When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling practices of some people .....

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

corbettclassics

I live for the CABE
I think the selling practices of some people on this site really stink!!!!! ( 98% or people are great though ....... always that 2% that ruin it for others )

My new avatar is pretty self explanatory as to what I think of some of these people.

They should call themselves something like "crapcycles" .......... or .. we'renothonestcycles or ........ cyclery etc

====

I've always been straight up with buyers. If you post something for sale and a person responds first to that post, then they should be first in line to get it. ( I never sell first to the 2nd person down until there is an honest answer form that first buyer etc... ). But I understand some people like to sell to the people who they hug and pat on the back behind closed doors.

** This is an issue that needs to be addressed with the CABE admins: -> I believe that "ONCE" a seller decides to list an item in the "For Sale" forum, then the first to respond has first right to buy ( and not through a PM - I've tried that too and it doesn't work ). IT MUST BE A POST on the actual thread as this is the fairest for everyone. I think many sellers will let time drag on and then say that - "Oh so and so wanted it yesterday through a text" or my friend wanted it. Otherwise, if the the seller doesn't follow these rules - THEN THEY SHOULD LEAVE THE CABE cycling community. If you're not going to treat people with respect as a seller ( or even a buyer ) then you don't belong here ... period! These people have gotten away with this practice for too long. Like eBay .. when you put in your bid, then you have first right to buy it and he can't sell it to the second guy in line even if that person happens to be his friend ( well unless they remove it and sell it to their friend ).

Any thoughts here? .. I have seen this issue posted before and thought it was best to bring this up again.

On e bay you only have the first right to buy an item if you hit the BIN tab. First bids on an item usually are not the winning bid at all. I understand the classifieds here do require a price in the ad, however, there is no way to force a seller to sell anything they list. I have actually offered more than an item here was listed for and received it.

I understand how you feel but that is not a rule in buying and selling. I had a chance to really screw a Cabe member a few years ago because he bought something really nice off C L.The item belonged to my buddy.I didnt know it was for sale until my friend got the money order and was ready to ship. My friend said he would mail the money order back and I could buy the item.I refused and let the Caber have the item.Yea,I wanted the item badly but passed.Sometimes its also a matter of shipping or local pickup.

I think the selling practices of some people on this site really stink!!!!! ( 98% or people are great though ....... always that 2% that ruin it for others )

My new avatar is pretty self explanatory as to what I think of some of these people.

They should call themselves something like "crapcycles" .......... or .. we'renothonestcycles or ........ cyclery etc

====

I've always been straight up with buyers. If you post something for sale and a person responds first to that post, then they should be first in line to get it. ( I never sell first to the 2nd person down until there is an honest answer form that first buyer etc... ). But I understand some people like to sell to the people who they hug and pat on the back behind closed doors.

** This is an issue that needs to be addressed with the CABE admins: -> I believe that "ONCE" a seller decides to list an item in the "For Sale" forum, then the first to respond has first right to buy ( and not through a PM - I've tried that too and it doesn't work ). IT MUST BE A POST on the actual thread as this is the fairest for everyone. I think many sellers will let time drag on and then say that - "Oh so and so wanted it yesterday through a text" or my friend wanted it. Otherwise, if the the seller doesn't follow these rules - THEN THEY SHOULD LEAVE THE CABE cycling community. If you're not going to treat people with respect as a seller ( or even a buyer ) then you don't belong here ... period! These people have gotten away with this practice for too long. Like eBay .. when you put in your bid, then you have first right to buy it and he can't sell it to the second guy in line even if that person happens to be his friend ( well unless they remove it and sell it to their friend ).

Any thoughts here? .. I have seen this issue posted before and thought it was best to bring this up again.

I do agree. When a buyer shows interest in purchasing an item posted by seller the buyer should post on the thread his/her intent. THEN send a PM, but first post publicly their intent to buy. Should not be done just by a PM. It just shows more clarity to everyone and not a back door deal. I am not saying I never sold anything though a PM, I try not to. It should not be allowed. My thoughts.

Last edited:
A wise man once said: “there will always be more bikes” [emoji41]

Also keep in mind as a seller, many buyers/people are “interested”, ask lots of questions, etc and then bail. I’ve had people tell me I’ll pay you after work, I’m PayPal ready, when I get home, I’ll pay Friday...only to be ghosted/ignored and sometimes if I’m lucky given excuses why they can’t buy it anymore. Honestly it can be super time consuming and exhausting to deal with people like that. In general first person to actually pay gets what I’m selling [emoji57]

I do my best to give first in line priority and honor that - but be realistic, Admins here are not getting paid I assume - how exactly would a time based system be enforced? It would end up looking like Facebook marketplace where if you list an item you get 100 messages from people just curious if it’s still for sale or commenting “take” - I like the CABE format personally and would not expect admins to police sales in that sort of detail.

I can understand serious frustration with a part you’ve been waiting for a long time. If this is really a hobby though - its just a matter of time or money to find the part you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Whether post or pm gets it should be clearly stated by the seller- I do one and then the other only to be told I was beat on pm. PM is the only way I sell. I dont know if the people have posted on my many listings. Also PM SENT means nothing! Unless you post I WILL BUY IT it can mean they are asking questions or making an offer and scares others away who want
to extend courtesy to the person who sent the pm.

I fill your frustration since this has seemingly happened to me before but the bottom line is, a seller has the right to sell or refuse sale to anyone they choose.

The honest thing to do is sell it to the first person to respond providing they are rapid with their payment and not trying to delay. Absent that, the part goes to whomever you like better or have had good dealings with.

I frequently offer up high end parts behind the scenes before posting anything up for sale though.

Just my two cents

I could use some high end parts! :)
I fill your frustration since this has seemingly happened to me before but the bottom line is, a seller has the right to sell or refuse sale to anyone they choose.

The honest thing to do is sell it to the first person to respond providing they are rapid with their payment and not trying to delay. Absent that, the part goes to whomever you like better or have had good dealings with.

I frequently offer up high end parts behind the scenes before posting anything up for sale though.

Just my two cents

Back