When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936 Raleigh lady's Bicycle

-
I only saw one in a picture. If I see one in the flesh, I'm stamping on all people in the area and giving the seller my retirement savings and my wife. I'd crawl over your tin hat and hold you off with a screw driver.

How did you determine the date to be 1936?

I'm going from memory from a great book called "The Enchanted Chain" (?) or the story of gearing. I am trying to look for it now. The internet should have the verification. Could be 1938 because I read it years ago. They only changed the rules because the spectators could ride ahead of the races and it became a joke. It does wreck the stats.
I love the French except the fact that they naw on horses. Do they know how to party! I got kissed more times there than in the rest of my life. You get double kissed and they can't keep their tops on at the beach. Gotta love a county like that.

I'm going from memory from a great book called "The Enchanted Chain" (?) or the story of gearing. I am trying to look for it now. The internet should have the verification. Could be 1938 because I read it years ago. They only changed the rules because the spectators could ride ahead of the races and it became a joke. It does wreck the stats.
I love the French except the fact that they naw on horses. Do they know how to party! I got kissed more times there than in the rest of my life. You get double kissed and they can't keep their tops on at the beach. Gotta love a county like that.
"The Dancing Chain" maybe?

That's correct! I need to hire you to follow me around so my dementia doesn't show. 'Enchanted" I must be turning into one of those Gatherers with bumpers in front. OK, I'll let you sit on my locked Raleigh when I find one but just for a moment.

Radial-Spoked front wheel? Was this more of a Sports Model or the wheel was changed?
Good eye! I didn't even notice that when I first looked. Was this just for the front wheel? Would radial spokes even be strong enough for the rear wheel?

And what kind of hub is in the rear wheel? From what I can see, I don't think it's a Sturmey "AW".

Good eye! I didn't even notice that when I first looked. Was this just for the front wheel? Would radial spokes even be strong enough for the rear wheel?
Radial spoke front wheels were common on prewar Raleighs. I sild one to member tryder. Radial would not work for the rear wheel.

And what kind of hub is in the rear wheel? From what I can see, I don't think it's a Sturmey "AW".
The rear hub is a Sturmey Archer K6 with a two section indicator chain, joined in the middle, that goes through both axel nuts. The 6 indicates that it is a 1936. It is in no way like a Sturmey Archer AW!

Currently, I have replaced both tires, tubes, seat, hand grips, brake shoes and shifter. I needed to replace the 1960s shifter with a 1950s 3/4 speed shifter, as the 1960 shifter did not engage the 2nd gear. With the 3/4 speed shifter, all 3 gears function correctly! Additionally, I have added a period correct rear mouse trap carrying rack and an all black Brooks Glenbrook carrying bag. The next part that I will be adding to the bike will be a Chinese replica of a spring loaded dual drop down rear kick stand, that is secured behind each of the rear axel nuts.

Last edited:
Back