When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar CWC Roadmaster Rebuild

-
Decisions decisions. Right now, you have what you like, crusty rusty. There is only one guarantee moving forward, and that's you can't go back.

Not all bikes will have miraculous OA results obviously. Your bike is much further along in the rust process than Lester's. Different strokes for different folks, but the art of rust that you currently have is more to look at than shiny bare pitted metal that I think you would end up with after a long OA bath. Smooth rust colored surfaces are where OA baths really work well.

If you do decide to go with a OA bath, monitor very closely and don't get distracted. I was giving a stem that I wanted to just knock the rust stains off the chrome and leave the rust where the chrome had flaked to leave a more natural look, when my wife called me in for lunch. After lunch, I was left with a very unnatural looking stem with chrome loss and bare clean metal. Not convincing for an 80 year old part.

The opinions expressed above are mine and not necessarily the masses. Good luck
Chad

Yours may be a better candidate for OA than mine because of touch up paint mixed with rust, that followed the OG lines ( OA doesn't remove paint ) and mine has different layers of rust & paint, I have seen good results on bikes with just rust over OG paint but would like to see the results on a bike like mine, I used some OOOO steel wool & WD 40 on mine, so If you got the time you probably have nothing to loose.

I'm a big fan of OA as well Josh. The challenge for us cold weather guys is that it's best done when warm (although some folks use their bathtubs indoors). Here's the results from my first project...

BEFORE
View attachment 1128200

AFTER
View attachment 1128211
Holy wow LG, what a difference that OA made!!! Stunning, I'm unsure of how mine would turn out... Looking to leave the rust and crust, makes me smile :)

Reactions: mrg
Decisions decisions. Right now, you have what you like, crusty rusty. There is only one guarantee moving forward, and that's you can't go back.

Not all bikes will have miraculous OA results obviously. Your bike is much further along in the rust process than Lester's. Different strokes for different folks, but the art of rust that you currently have is more to look at than shiny bare pitted metal that I think you would end up with after a long OA bath. Smooth rust colored surfaces are where OA baths really work well.

If you do decide to go with a OA bath, monitor very closely and don't get distracted. I was giving a stem that I wanted to just knock the rust stains off the chrome and leave the rust where the chrome had flaked to leave a more natural look, when my wife called me in for lunch. After lunch, I was left with a very unnatural looking stem with chrome loss and bare clean metal. Not convincing for an 80 year old part.

The opinions expressed above are mine and not necessarily the masses. Good luck
Chad
Decisions Decisions indeed! Thanks for the words of wisdom Chad - Rust is going to stay - OA for another day! Very hard to say as I can faintly see signs of the OG black, white, and red pinstripe paint... My lady is always distracting me, ha so I'd be most likely to fluff that up lol!

Last edited:
Yours may be a better candidate for OA than mine because of touch up paint mixed with rust, that followed the OG lines ( OA doesn't remove paint ) and mine has different layers of rust & paint, I have seen good results on bikes with just rust over OG paint but would like to see the results on a bike like mine, I used some OOOO steel wool & WD 40 on mine, so If you got the time you probably have nothing to loose.
I might give the steel wool & WD with light pressue a try... thanks for the heads up!

Lots of good info and different opinions above fellas, thank you! Looks like we are even split between votes on rust and OA...good thing we have multiple political parties in the USA for all these differing thoughts lol!

Final vote: The rust and crust wins!

Here is the latest of the finish with a light wipe down with old greasy shop rags and boiled linseed oil....looking pretty mean

IMG_2907.jpg

sdasasdv.jpg

Here is the latest update of the progress on the ole rusty lady crustmaster. All spokes replaced, was able to save the nipples, wheels trued, and hubs rebuilt. It seems as if most if the internal parts are in very good to new shape - almost like NOS! The last few pics are of a "loose" fit up of all the parts. Next step is trying to get the EA 6-rib front loader, horn, and rear light working. What size batteries do these items take? Thanks again for all the advice, parts, and wisdom.

Cheers,

Josh

Last edited:
Back