When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Superior? True or False

-

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Looks like BlueMoonBikes is trying to confuse me. ha! Is this a Superior? I say it's a 1940-41 New World.

@SirMike1983 @Eric Amlie @Schwinn499 @Miq @rennfaron @cyclingday

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=202904818413 More pics in the ebay link

1581661119699.png

1581661170465.png

1581661660774.png

I dont know enough about either model to make a call but I'd like to learn if anybody else does. Are the seat clamps different?

My interest waned at the part where the serial number was defaced.

Maybe my math is wrong but something does not add up...In order to have that 9 speed set up you would have to be using a Sturmey-Archer "K" hub. Wiki states the K hub was introduced in 1922 and was replaced by the AW in 1938. The owner states his Superior was bought in early 1951 and he kept the original SA hub during his modifications, but the spec sheet for a 1952 Superior lists the AW hub.

I started asking questions to the seller and just getting vague answers in response. Something fishy when asking questions to a bike shop and they act like they don't know...

edit - replied back that the seat post clamp is welded on / firmly attached and not removable.

Last edited:
Superiors and Paramounts were pretty much made to order and any way you wanted them. The long wheelbase looks like a Superior tourer, but it's missing the little fender mount tabs. Looks like a nice period bike put together by an enthusiast. There were triple cog set ups for the AW hub available.

Back