When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Model T of antique bikes?

-

Balloonoob

I live for the CABE
What would be considered the model t or Mustang of turn of the century bicycles? I'm guessing it would wear a Columbia badge? Just wondering if, as with cars, there are models with higher production numbers that can be had at a lower cost than others. Perhaps a more standard model without the bells and whistles.

I guess I should clarify I'm not talking high wheels. I have seen the phrase "standard of the world". Was the "standard" a model name? Was chain drive or gear driven toc bikes more common? Which are typically more reliable? I know.... So many questions.... Haha.

To answer part of your question how many shaft drive bicycles do you see around? V/r Shawn
That's a great question. I have seen none in the Denver area. Here are the oldest 2 i have seen. A truss frame iver Johnson owned by a bada$$ and somewhat lucky dude named Tony and an old hawthorne owned by an even cooler and older dude named Blu. And well.. A 1919? Truss frame bike owned by Eric which i don't have a picture of but is chain driven . So shaft drive equals rare.... Noted.

20190217_124755.jpg

20191215_103845.jpg

20190217_124759.jpg

There’s just too much diversity in bike brands from the Toc to make a clear analogy to car brands. It’d be like asking what sneaker is the model t of sneakers, it’s completely apples and oranges

Back