When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long spring seat

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hello! I figured I might would add to this conversation. I did a restoration about a year ago, and as part of the restoration, I had to recover a 1920s- 30s long spring seat. I did it all by hand, and it took around 15 hours or so I believe. Here is a link to my post, and about mid way down, you can see the photos of the seat I did. Granted, its not as good probably as a professional upholsterer can do, but it looks decent, and has held up for the past 100 miles of riding or so, without any problem. Comfortable too, and the only real cost in restoring it was about $20 worth of leather plus my time. All hand stitched from scratch, and done in the original style. Hope this helps, and I can provide additional detail and information later once I get off work. Thank you.

The frame on this seat was much worse than yours. I'm surprised any of these frames remain, as the spring steel wire support didn't work that well. It easily fatigued with use and broke or bent, if the rider was too heavy. This frame was bent, badly rusted and the top rails were broke on both sides. I straightened them out and cut a couple 2 inch sections of steel automotive brake line and slipped them over the broken sections. I did this a while ago .

I think I applied some J. B. Weld inside the brake line before I slipped them on the broken frame wires.[ No CABER can live without that stuff] I've ridden this bike plenty since then and it's held up nice. Look closely on the second photo and you can see the slightly thicker section on the top wire. It starts at the seat clamp bolt and ends where a chip of the black paint is missing, just above where the lucky seven curves. Your saddle will look nice. Welcome to the hobby.
My wife painted the seat-frame . Here's a picture of her, in her riding clothes.

View attachment 1143226

View attachment 1143227

View attachment 1143228

The frame on this seat was much worse than yours. I'm surprised any of these frames remain, as the spring steel wire support didn't work that well. It easily fatigued with use and broke or bent, if the rider was too heavy. This frame was bent, badly rusted and the top rails were broke on both sides. I straightened them out and cut a couple 2 inch sections of steel automotive brake line and slipped them over the broken sections. I did this a while ago .View attachment 1143260

I think I applied some J. B. Weld inside the brake line before I slipped them on the broken frame wires.[ No CABER can live without that stuff] I've ridden this bike plenty since then and it's held up nice. Look closely on the second photo and you can see the slightly thicker section on the top wire. It starts at the seat clamp bolt and ends where a chip of the black paint is missing, just above where the lucky seven curves. Your saddle will look nice. Welcome to the hobby.
My wife painted the seat-frame . Here's a picture of her, in her riding clothes.View attachment 1143274
Nice fix! Turned out great and looks strong.

Do u have replacements ? How much if u do?
if you are looking for parts for this saddle, try @patmcclerren2 he has a stash of long spring parts and may have what you need.

also, where @Miq mentioned not needing the zip ties, there are actually small clamps, that wrap around the main spring brace and clamp to the bolts on the saddle, above where the spring frame bolts at the rear of the saddle. I will try to get a photo of what they look like from my saddle.

I dont know wat you mean i guess i need to know if this thing is worth the 95 bucks with all the problems im facing making it useable

Back