When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Ladies Corvette Year?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Siestabikes

Finally riding a big boys bike
my buddy picked this up today and the serial lists it as either a 1955 or 1957. can anybody tell what year it is

00R0R_6mR3SOon7kQ_600x450.jpg

00z0z_djqAiq1HpLR_600x450.jpg

00303_7EX5jD9Uddp_600x450.jpg

No shots of the parts I need to see to verify the year. The carrier is not a 55 issue. Seat somewhat looks like a 57 issue but I can't tell if the chain guard was the 55 only piece or not. The rear hub should be dated.

What's the serial? You or he used the serial number look up and that is flawed.

Last edited:
After looking at the chain guard it appears from that distance shot that it's the 1955 only issue. For 1956 the mounting brackets were moved about 3/4 inch or so pushing the chain guard forward. The bars look 55, the 57's had the new style Northroad bars with a wider spread. Possible seat and carrier change?

we need a younger persons eyes to read the hub date. serial is S11594. the 55 seat in the catalog doesnt look 2 tone while the 57 does.

So you can read the date on the hub huh? I'll take a wild guess too, and say it's a 55.

Chain guard rear mounting bracket looks short. 1955
Carrier has the short tongs. 1956-57-58
Seat "appears" to be 1956-57, it's similar but I don't think it's a Corvette seat. Later issue on another model.

@Siestabikes take a close up picture of the rear hub and then zoom in so you can read the date. That's probably the only way to verify the year. The seat has been changed out and the carrier could also have been changed.

Here's a 56-57 Corvette seat.

1582478357004.png

Here's a 55 chain guard. The rear rivet attaching the bracket will be 7/8" in from the end of the guard. If it's a 56 or later the rivet will be at the very end of the guard.

could have been a 55 but now non 55 parts,55 parts hard to find,so it could be a 55 when u find the brown seat and long tange front carrier...

Well @Siestabikes , seems we have a dilemma here with that November 1955 SA hub causing even more confusion. Seems that Corvette fits right in with the model year transition. A 1956 model. All the components, not considering the incorrect seat, indicate this. The serial number was stamped on the drop out component, then tossed into a bucket and misplaced for 5 or 6 months. Slighty possible that it was built in December 55 but I'm leaning towards a build in 1956.

Last edited:
had to run a tap through the pedals and straighten out the bar. the bar was not stamped on the clamp area. looks like the chain guard rivet says 55. the seat has the schwinn approved rear badge

20200223_130752.jpg

20200223_133129.jpg

20200223_140253.jpg

Back