When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gramp’s 1941 New World - Trying to get it running as a rat rod bike

-
Well done. Keep at it till you have it right! This gets me thinking about my own. I've got a 1942, that I bought for a bargain basement price on Ebay, getting only the frame fork and front and rear fenders. the seller had sold off the good stuff. (Probably mentioned this here, before. Like yours it is different badged New World. Either BF Goodrich or Excelsior, I'd guess.)
New Worlds seemed to have more different ways of being equipped than most Schwinns. So, even though mine came with 1" pitch blackout chainwheel and crank, I guess I feel I can pretty well equip it with most anything and be happy riding it. My first adult bike was a 1954 Traveler with a 3 speed. so I might build this as a tribute, with 3 speed or even 4 speed S-A.
I guess what I'm getting at is what crank and chainwheel I should look for. Then I gotta think about wheels.
And paint. Are original 1942 decals available?
WRT the headbadge, I am also undecided. I guess, with all the Schwinn brands, I could badge it as something that never left the Chicago factory.

@Alan Brase

42 would have a prewar dog leg ladies crank. 6.5” offset. Part number was 502. Sprockets are up to you. There were many parts available for these prewar bikes as you mentioned. Decide what you want to try and can find.

No idea about decals but I imagine someone has that stuff. Start your quest and a thread on your New World! You won’t be disappointed.

Thanks. I wonder why they went to the shorter crank? Lower bottom bracket, maybe? Or maybe they figured it was so light riders didn't need the extra leverage? Pictures of parts sold before I bought it showed my bike had a black painted skip tooth chain wheel. Seems the skip tooth would be more problems.
Now I think of it, I've been wrenching on bikes since about age 11, 1960. In that time, I NEVER had a skip tooth chain bike. Of course the 1954 Traveler was 1/2" pitch and it was my main bicycle.
I guess the skip tooth chainwheel is prettier.

The reason I've always seen given was the lower bottom bracket. The beauty now is that the shorter crank is cheaper to buy than the longer crank because the big-ticket men's ballooners usually take the longer crank.

The New World had a ton of variation. Even the pre-war bikes with the 502 crank can come with a standard pitch sprocket - version with the four peg holes. You see a mix of standard pitch and inch-pitch variations with the one-piece crank. And even the post-war bikes can come with inch-pitch. And that's just the one-piece cranks. There was so much choice the buyer had with these bikes - it's a shame they didn't catch on more.

And as much cachet as inch-pitch has in the vintage bike world, my preference is 1/2 inch pitch for parts availability, smoothness, and quiet running.

@SirMike1983 Nice! I still catch a pedal every few weeks even with the 502 crank. :p That BB is low and coaster brake foot positioning in turns is slowly getting to be second nature now...

Loving my 1/2”x1/8” chain now that its clean and smooth with the new master link. Less wear in the parts when you use 1/2” compared to inch pitch too. Its spread over more area.

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Kenda K23?

E320F365-75CD-4429-BD51-EACCAFDBFC47.jpeg

About 3000 miles of skidding stops and off road adventures. The thorn proof liner I added last year has been saving my tube the last couple of short rides. :eek: My duct tape outside patch didn’t last long. :p

New Kenda K23 went on this morning. Seated the first try. :)
4EFAA932-3BFB-4C25-9703-5665639D4943.jpeg

Time for another 3k miles of fun!

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Kenda K23?

View attachment 1144625

About 3000 miles of skidding stops and off road adventures. The thorn proof liner I added last year has been saving my tube the last couple of short rides. :eek: My duct tape outside patch didn’t last long. :p

New Kenda K23 went on this morning. Seated the first try. :)
View attachment 1144626
Time for another 3k miles of fun!
Roll that thing through the desert for another round of tires and enjoy every minute. You're blessed to have your grandpa's old bike. I'm sure he's thrilled. Keep on pushing!

Back