When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

April 28 1914 Bicycling and Motorcycle review

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Back when this was first posted, I would’ve never even dreamed that an original, Auto-Wheel would find its way into my hands.
It just goes to show, that you never know what is going to show up next.
AE3B860D-D9CF-43EE-BF8A-009F4CE88141.jpeg

DF0E9A20-6078-4FC3-92B3-9FE99AE8BE24.jpeg

Thanks, Patric, for refreshing this wonderful trip down memory lane.

Way cool.
Does anybody know if the Excelsiors pictured are Schwinn or Original Michigan City?

Also, does anyone have scans of the complete Schwinn 1917 (or other teens) Excelsior catalog?

I agree with Patric, that the big boom year was a year when more bikes were produced than other years. Like I said before, I'm guessing that the year was closer to 1900, for the same reasons that Fordsnake states, although, those reasons I considered obvious and not worth mentioning. Sitting on my doorstep right now is a box containing a TOC Schwinn World tandem. I wonder what questions I will have once it is unboxed. I now own 4 TOC tandems, an Ide, a Rambler, a Columbus and now a Schwinn. I also have a Colson, a Schwinn Town and Country, a highly mountainbiked Schwinn Twin, a Rollfast and two Santana tandems. How many can I ride at once? I'm getting dizzy thinking about it.
One at a time unless you decide to CLONE your self. Razin.

Back when this was first posted, I would’ve never even dreamed that an original, Auto-Wheel would find its way into my hands.
It just goes to show, that you never know what is going to show up next.View attachment 1152572
View attachment 1152573
Thanks, Patric, for refreshing this wonderful trip down memory lane.
Are those Auto Wheels by chance made by Perry Wheel? I have a chrome Perry wheel from the late 50's -early 60's. Really cool looking wood wheel. Thanks for sharing. Razin. P.S. really nice bike too.

Great post. I can't identify the lower right bike on page 58, it's interesting since it shows a short lived fad where both the front and the rear sprocket were made larger for no apparent reason, the ratio stayed the same ;)

Some of the bikes would have been hard to identify as teens bikes - they look very TOC, like National model 163 on bottom left of page 63, it even had a wooden chainguard with ropes that I would date to about 1897 ;)

I can't identify the lower right bike on page 58.
It looks like an Excelsior Cycle double bar, listed for $35; (not associated with A&S).
Another member posted a better scan of the same page 58, (somewhere on the CABE).

In the text, Excelsior Cycle Co. is mentioned on page 59, (in between the text for Emblem Angola and Iver Johnson).
The sprockets look fairly typical, like 26-10, or so; with a Fauber-like pattern in front.

Last edited:
Scott this information is so valuable to me it’s my best data on these bikes I have! Thanks buddy your the information guru!!!! Keep it up P “Professor Scott”! Thanks again for your effort helps us all. Respectfully Rick

Back