When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best drill bits for the $$?

-
seems like every time I need a good drill bit, I have to buy a new one. Are any tools made in America anymore? I have a ton of old drill bits that were my dad's but dont know how to sharpen

seems like every time I need a good drill bit, I have to buy a new one. Are any tools made in America anymore? I have a ton of old drill bits that were my dad's but dont know how to sharpen
I have been a machinist for 30 years this year! I learned how to sharpen lathe and drill bits when I was 18yo. It is a good art to learn, and pays for itself with time and money shortly after investing in the equipment. I think there are some good resources out there. However, from what I have seen many people do not pivot, or split the point of the drill bit. You also should get a drill gauge, and keep the bit cool. Good luck!

I myself got SUPER lucky at an estate sale last year..I bought one of the BIG plastic nut/bolt organizers full of tons of NEW hardware AND..3 drawers full of 70s? "made in USA" steel drill bits..mostly small ones..about 100-125 of them..for $50 for the cabinet with parts!
I know how crappy the "new" bits are..I worked at Home Depot for 8 years in tool rental..junky..junky..junky stuff..

Prices are always cheap because most younger people dont use tools anymore.

Too many high schools promote college or you're a failure. And don't forget sitting on your azz all day playing computer games or on the smart phone instead of building a train layout (learning about carpentry/electricity), building model kits, working with their "old man" repairing the faucet leak, or fixing/repairing their bike. One bright spot are the younger set here on CABE who actually know how to use tools.

In the future, electricians, plumbers, car mechanics, machinests, etc., may just rule the world!!!:cool:

I was a machinist awhile ago and what prolongs the life ot cutting tools is the feeds and speeds you use. Cutting aluminum or wood it does not really matter too much, but cutting various steels it matters. Basically, slow the rpm down and use some kind of cutting/tapping oil. Also, as stated, learn how to sharpen your tools and when drilling, drill a pilot (smaller hole) first, then your final diameter.

Too many high schools promote college or you're a failure. And don't forget sitting on your azz all day playing computer games or on the smart phone instead of building a train layout (learning about carpentry/electricity), building model kits, working with their "old man" repairing the faucet leak, or fixing/repairing their bike. One bright spot are the younger set here on CABE who actually know how to use tools.

In the future, electricians, plumbers, car mechanics, machinests, etc., may just rule the world!!!:cool:
I thought they already did.....

Yesterday I was working on My Hot Rod, I have a really nice set of Snap on Tools including a nice 30 piece drill set... I knew I was going to be using several 3/16 Clecos so I bought some cheap bits "MIBRO," I think I paid 9 bucks for a 16 bit set...just in case.

Not talking reliability as I only used them once...the MIBRO out preformed the Snap on - WHAT!!! I have lots more work to do and will used these drill bits exclusively on this project and will report back with I get some time on them

Last edited:
I have picked up complete old sets made in Aerica at garage sales.Prices are always cheap because most younger people dont use tools anymore. I would avoid Harbor Freight.

Honestly the best drill bits I have ever picked up have come from dirty estate sales out of older homes that have basements or garages full of tools.

Nothing I have ever purchased at hardware stores comes close, but maybe that's because I refuse to pay ultra high prices. There is a huge qaulity difference, and if you go on the last day, you can usually grab whats left for just a few dollars. It's amazing how crappy stuff like this gets made today, its designed to fail with soft metals, so you have to quickly go through a whole pack.

Back