When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! Mead Ranger 1936

-

Wilfredo

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have a situation that is like Odd.
This bike is totally different from the rest of the bikes.
I don’t know if use regular bicycle fenders and wide rims like normal 1936 Shwinn stile bike.
I am very confuse. Don’t know what to do. Or what to buy for this case.
Some one toll me that the bike is an oldes bike. But the serial number
C5 A 68481
One point. The information has question marks.
:(

B2790962-0E6C-4FB7-BD42-5AE78EB6D7FC.jpeg

A938AAB0-7E6D-41C1-BC24-15EFD51D9F3F.jpeg

See the Westfield-built frame numbers thread.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/westfield-frame-numbers-1933-1945.100743/
The seat post clamp area is another clue (notched pinch-bolt).

Also, a Westfield built bicycle is not a common Schwinn, (nor a classic Colson); but Westfield, the manufacturer, may have supplied bicycles to the Mead mail order catalog company, among many retailers.

Finding and fitting the right badge on a bike without any might be a challenging task, and especially when the holes are not vertical but horizontal.

Last edited:
The only badge can fit on it is the circle mead Ranger. The bike came with a WINSOR crank. Not gothic arm.
I send the pi
See the Westfield-built frame numbers thread.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/westfield-frame-numbers-1933-1945.100743/
The seat post clamp area is another clue (notched pinch-bolt).

Also, a Westfield built bicycle is not a common Schwinn, (nor a classic Colson); but Westfield, the manufacturer, may have supplied bicycles to the Mead mail order catalog company, among many retailers.

Finding and fitting the right badge on a bike without any might be a challenging task, and especially when the holes are not vertical but horizontal.
yes. They are horizontal way.
The only badge with the right mesure was Mead Ranger circle one and was a very hard chalenge.
It has 26” rims and I bough the 28” and still have almost 3” to fit the weels.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi, @Wilfredo

I wrote the chart you have shown a section of.

The reason Mead Ranger has question marks is that the bike concerned also had no badge, but was ideantified as possibly a Mead Ranger.

The thread is here:

It's certainly a sister to your bike (the serial number is very close), so gives you an idea of what it looked like originally.

Best Regards,

Adrian

So it looks like you have a 1936-A Westfield built frame, very likely sold as a Mead Ranger bicycle. Fine for a refurbishment project.
Never heard of a gothic or non-gothic Windsor crank or sprocket, (but Mead may have had a Windsor labelled bike over 100 years ago); I do see that the crank is not painted black. The chain ring sprocket is a Fauber 3-arm, and has peculiar dimensions. If the crank fits the chain ring sprocket, then I would recommend keeping those parts together; (and maybe even using on this bike project). The racing green metallic paint is a sign that the bike has been refurbished before; (looks neatly done), and may not have some original parts, (e.g., Mead sprocket).
I would lean toward your bike being a 26” wheeled machine, although measurements are lacking. If a 26” - then modern Sunlite or Wald fenders might fit with minimal tweaking.
I have a 1932-K Westfield built Mead Ranger, and although it was the age of (non-super) 26" balloon tires, my 19” short frame fits 28” wheels.
http://www.nostalgic.net/1936-mead-ranger-ace-ad

I believe that later in 1936, Mead started to advertise the more streamlined style bikes.

Last edited:
So it looks like you have a 1936 Westfield built frame, very likely sold as a Mead Ranger bicycle. Fine for a refurbishment project.
Never heard of a gothic or non-gothic Windsor crank or sprocket, (but Mead may have had a Windsor label bike over 100 years ago); I do see that the crank is not painted black. The chain ring sprocket is a Fauber 3-arm, and has peculiar dimensions. If the crank fits the chain ring sprocket, then I would recommend keeping those parts together; and maybe even using on this bike project. The green metallic paint is a sign that the bike has been refurbished before; (looks neatly done), and may not have some original parts, (e.g., Mead sprocket).
I would lean toward your bike being a 26” wheeled machine, although measurements are lacking. If a 26” then reproduction Sunlite or Wald fenders might fit with minimal tweaking.
I have a 1932-K Westfield built Mead Ranger, and although it was the age of (non-super) balloon tires, my 19” short frame fits 28” wheels.
Wow. Thanks

Hi @Wilfredo

So, you have two opinions, a possibly pre 1933 possibly Coulson, or a 1936 Westfield.

It can't be both, so how to resolve it?

If you can supply pictures of the serial number on the bike, this will help. The makers used different fonts and layouts, and it should be possible to tell from that.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi @Wilfredo

So, you have two opinions, a possibly pre 1933 possibly Coulson, or a 1936 Westfield.

It can't be both, so how to resolve it?

If you can supply pictures of the serial number on the bike, this will help. The makers used different fonts and layouts, and it should be possible to tell from that.

Best Regards,

Adrian
114635C3-C6A8-4805-8F54-26C31E8E6C36.jpeg
is onis almost the same number on the bottom. C5 A 684 _ _

Back