When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 Mead Ranger Original Paint Masterpiece

-

hzqw2l

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Well there has been a bit of discussion of this bike and I was waiting to debut it at the Ann Arbor show in it's "As Found" condition. I have not wiped or cleaned anything on the bike since it arrived last Thursday from the Auction in Massachusetts.
In my opinion it really is "original and untouched" as the auctioneer had described it in the auction listing.

I question why those SA hubs seem to have more shiine than the rest of the chrome. I think at some point, and maybe back in the day, some liberties were taken. I, too, doubt the Westfield guard came on that bike. Has anyone ever seen a Schwinn Mead with that guard? The Japan tires are not original. V/r Shawn

Real nice bike whether it is touched or untouched. Its a keeper!

Thanks. The untouched comment was what the auctioneer put in their ad.

I Agree that yes it has a Westfield guard and a 3-speed setup not typical to a Schwinn built bike.

Was this a custom order? Was Mead at the end of their production run and threw together a bike with parts left over in a parts bin?

Who knows.... If you can find someone that worked for Mead in 1939 then we would know.
I question why those SA hubs seem to have more shiine than the rest of the chrome. I think at some point, and maybe back in the day, some liberties were taken. I, too, doubt the Westfield guard came on that bike. Has anyone ever seen a Schwinn Mead with that guard? V/r Shawn

If you look at the auction photos it appears the wiped the rear hub to see the date stamps.

That's why I took the pictures. I wanted a record in case I decide to clean it. Right now I'm holding off.

Thanks. The untouched comment was what the auctioneer put in their ad.

I Agree that yes it has a Westfield guard and a 3-speed setup not typical to a Schwinn built bike.

Was this a custom order? Was Mead at the end of their production run and threw together a bike with parts left over in a parts bin?

Who knows.... If you can find someone that worked for Mead in 1939 then we would know.

If you look at the auction photos it appears the wiped the rear hub to see the date stamps.

That's why I took the pictures. I wanted a record in case I decide to clean it. Right now I'm holding off.
I’m not really versed in these bikes, but I would have bought it also , even questioning the guard . It’s beautiful ! It’s looks like it was in the monies also . Enjoy the Ride Sir

Back