When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 puget sound naval yard bicycle update

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

redline1968

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I’d thought I’d post this update on my service used schwinn... a 1940 dx. It is rusty and took a while to remove the seat post without damaging the naval yellow paint. It was almost fused to the frame months of soaking and moving to free it up... I put blackout nd and schwinn hubs back on correct drop centers along with the correct 40 springer fender.. schwinn tires not correct but works for now...no badge never came with one.. still needs a few things. now plan on blending and matching patina or not what do you think?

Good Morning,
Really nice bicycle. It is going to look great. I can’t wait to see it finished. What is the bracket mounted to the stem? That has really peaked my interest. I am going to have to find one or make one.
Thank you and be safe,
Ric

Thank you..you know it is interesting .. I don’t really know what it’s used for.. there’s a hole on the side.. I’m thinking that’s for a lock or to secure something.in place. A square hole might be for something to slide into it. a wire box or tool box perhaps? Definitely need some reasearch from early photos..
Good Morning,
Really nice bicycle. It is going to look great. I can’t wait to see it finished. What is the bracket mounted to the stem? That has really peaked my interest. I am going to have to find one or make one.
Thank you and be safe,
Ric

Hi

Thank you..you know it is interesting .. I don’t really know what it’s used for.. there’s a hole on the side.. I’m thinking that’s for a lock or to secure something.in place. A square hole might be for something to slide into it. a wire box or tool box perhaps? Definitely need some reasearch from early photos..

Only an idea, but I think it's a lock out.

There is a chain attached to a wall, or the bike rack, and the free end link goes in the slot on the fitment. A lock goes through the hole and through the chain link to keep the bike in place.

Because these bikes are not personal items, if you need one, you go to the counter, sign out the key to the lock and unchain the bike. At the end of the day, you relock it, and return the key. (Or the QM comes round for his pound of flesh!)

Incidentally, it looks like the bottom part is a chain link, plenty of chain in a shipyard!

Will you put the military type box handlebars back on it?

Best Regards

Adrian

Hey. Your right ..i forgot about that..that makes alot of sense.. you know ive got a ww2 card that indicates a signature for use of the servi cycle. Ill post it later.. oh ya it will get those cool bars..also i have the black out chain ring but need a crank.. im in no rush

Back