When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! What did I find in the barn? Flying Star, Shelby, Schwinn??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Sirby

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I picked this barn find up last week but cannot identify it. It has a Flying Star headbadge riveted to the head tube, It has a Shelby looking crank wheel. Other parts look Schwinn. The bottom bracket has three groups of numbers hand stamped "664" "94" and along the edge "6763".

This photo I found online is exactly the one on the bike which is nearly unreadable. I did a rubbing. more readable with this photoshopped hi contrast image.

Shelby type crank wheel?

Seat has "Persons" stamped into it on it's steel frame.

I just learned this might be a two speed hub...I'll check it tomorrow.

sorry that one got flipped

I'd appreciate any input you might share on this old girl. Not sure what to do with it. Other than fix it up for the kids to ride.

Thanks,
Sirby

IMG_20200327_113804.jpg

IMG_20200327_114002.jpg

IMG_20200329_124001.jpg

Nice find! Looks like late 20s to mid 30s bike that originally may have had 28" wheels that someone replaced with 26". The originals rims may have been wood and wore out. I'm surprised that rear mudguard doesn't appear to have holes to lace up a skirt guard. I'm sure by morning someone with way more knowledge than I will jump in with more information.

Thank you fordmike65, and all for checking in on my request. I agree, it seems to be an older Snyder frame. The headbadge looks like it is original the way the rivets are used to hold it tight to the headtube, and the badge is of a slightly different design, smooth line down and around the lower part without the small points on each side. The 26" front wheel is Schwinn, and probably the rear, which has no markings showing through the rust. The rear hub is unmarked except for the Bendix brake arm. I think it is a single speed. The chain guard looks like Snyder, and the chainring a Shelby.
I agree with gkeep that this frame and fenders were made for 28" wheels.

What would you do with this bike? Maybe the old Snyder frame and metal parts have some significant value to a collector?

Personally I wouldn't spend much, if any, money on this unless you just want it to be a rider. There is no real value in the frame. V/r Shawn

Thanks for the info Shawn. I think I'll just put some tires on it and clean up the chain and bearings, hammer out the bent up rear mud guard, clean some of the rust off the rims and handlebars, and spray some fresh paint on it. That'll keep me busy during this stay-at-home period.

With plenty of time on my hands nowadays, I am getting into this fixee rebuild. I have it all broken down and getting cleaned up. I found that I need a new cone nut for the old Bendix rear hub. The "Adjustment Cone" is pretty bad. I have searched all over the net but cannot locate one of these parts.

The adjustment cone goes on the right side of the Bendix hub assy. This is a Schwinn wheel with the hub marked only on the lever "Bendix" and the letter "B" on the small sprocket. The Bendix info page shows the parts blowup but they do not have any parts available. If anyone has one of these kicking around let me know please.
Thanks,
Sirby

Last edited:
Thank you fordmike65, and all for checking in on my request. I agree, it seems to be an older Snyder frame. The headbadge looks like it is original the way the rivets are used to hold it tight to the headtube, and the badge is of a slightly different design, smooth line down and around the lower part without the small points on each side. The 26" front wheel is Schwinn, and probably the rear, which has no markings showing through the rust. The rear hub is unmarked except for the Bendix brake arm. I think it is a single speed. The chain guard looks like Snyder, and the chainring a Shelby.
I agree with gkeep that this frame and fenders were made for 28" wheels.

What would you do with this bike? Maybe the old Snyder frame and metal parts have some significant value to a collector?
Indeed..it's a single speed hub. I got through thee rust and confirmed both wheels are Schwinn S-6

I am moving along in this bike renewal. It is not a restoration, as It is not going to try to look like a particular vintage bike because of the variety of parts it has on it. I am only interested in refreshing it into a rider. I have removed the rattle can black paint job somebody did on it years ago. There was some evidence of blue paint under the black so I plan to apply blue and white paint over a base primer coat. The Handlebars are pretty rough with chrome gone in places. Any advice on having the bars re-chromed? Used ones are available for $30 or so. Probably the best choice since it isn't going to be a showpiece. The other questions I have are what paint graphic might be good for this front fender with the pinched fin forward? Does anyone have a photo of what bike this fender might have originated on?
Thanks for your help. I am new at bicycle refinishing. It is fun and keeps me occupied during this period of being homebound.

Sirby Project 20 (2).jpg

Back