When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another project in the pile - Bob, The CT

-

REC

I live for the CABE
In Memoriam
Looking though eBay on April 6th, I noticed an ad that captured my thought processes pretty much entirely. I've had some thoughts on doing something like this for a while, and this looked like just the starting point for the idea to become a reality. First, it's a '52 frame with that nice straight downtube just hangin' down there lookin' for some love. Second, I thought the milk crate idea was a little different (more on that later) as opposed to a basket (which at the lime I first viewed the ad, was included as was the original basket.) With those things in mind, I went out to the shop to do some work, leaving the ad open on the computer screen so I could see it every time I passed through the Florida Room when I went to the bathroom, or to get more coffee. I went out to the shop around 9AM and was still out there when my Wife got home around 4:30 or so, and continued to work until around dinner time. While we were eating, Linda asked me what I was thinking about this bike that was on the computer screen (she ain't dumb.... She's seen this before) and I just left it there after dinner when I went back out to get a little further on the bike I was working on,. When I locked up and came in, I went and took a shower, and then came back to the computer, now about 10:30 PM. I sat down and looked at the ad photos again and decided that this was not going to slide on by, and without reading or refreshing the ad, hit the "Buy It Now" button. The computer refreshed after I did that and I noticed there were now revisions that were not there when I was looking at it that morning, so I looked to see what was revised. Unfortunately, it was the milk crate was now not included. I started looking further and saw that the basket was a real mess - so much so that I didn't even want to do anything with it. At that point I sent a note to the seller asking if the milk crate could be substituted. Apparently not. So I went on the wild search for the same type milk crate (or something of equal coolness) as that was part of the intrigue. I sat for an hour or more looking on several sites for the same crate to no avail. I went to bed at that point, but the wooden crate thought would not leave my head. For the next day or two, I continued to search, and found a few crates, but nothing that I would consider to be as cool as the one that was in the ad photos for the bike. Later the second day, I started to look for wood crates, and/or boxes. Late that night, I found a box that looked like it might fill the bill. I sent the seller a note asking for outside dimensions. I got the response the following morning that he would have to measure it and would either call me back or have one of the other guys from the store get back to me. I waited and around dinner time, I got a message on my phone with the dimensions. I practically fell off my chair when reading the message as the box was only off a half an inch on one dimension of matching the same measurements as a small basket. We made a deal and I bought the crate/box. The following day, I got back with him about shipping the box, and he said he would take it to the FedEx store and get me a quote. I told him what I would expect the shipping to be and if it was higher than that to call me and I'd try to figure out another solution. He called and solution 2 was to give them my FedEx account number which should net me a discounted shipping rate. The cost I was initially quoted was in excess of $265. The girl in the store said it would be less with my account number, so I gave her the info and she came back and I thought she said it would be about 30.00 less... or so I thought. It was shipped, and it arrived two days later. I looked in my FedEx account and the TOTAL COST for shipping the box was $25.67. ALLLLLRIGHTY THEN! So I got the bike, And now I have a nice box for it too! This is going to be pretty cool when I get done. I post some pictures once I have the time. The ones now are just the bike: The bike has a name - Bob The CT. The basket is REALLY bad...will probably put it up for sale either craigslist or eBay....CHEEP! It is repairable, It's just not gonna be me repairing it!

REC

Love the idea of the crate. I bought a fiberglass covered wood crate made identically the same way for the same purpose but to attach to a rear mounted rack for just $15. Turns out they're usually $35+ before any shipping charges. I think it's dated around '73 but it was jus' too cool not to pick up for a bike or trike conversion piece ;)

Can I ask where you found the wooden box? I was going to have one made locally but I’d prefer to buy one ready to go.

I went to the "Facebook Marketplace" and started searching. The place that had the box I ended up with was inside of Florida, but there were an awful lot of choices out there. I may try the milk crate idea again on something in the future. I don't want to post the box until I can get a little preparation / repairation done on it, but I think its the Cats Ass! keep watching for future updates on Bobs' progress.

REC

Love the idea of the crate. I bought a fiberglass covered wood crate made identically the same way for the same purpose but to attach to a rear mounted rack for just $15. Turns out they're usually $35+ before any shipping charges. I think it's dated around '73 but it was jus' too cool not to pick up for a bike or trike conversion piece ;)
Would you post a pic of it?

@Danny the schwinn freak View attachment 1180351
It's identical to this since I am not where I have my bikes/most of my projects. I figured if it's too small on a trike I'll build wood slat rails & jus' mount this centered. It's kinda heavy'ish so for a bike rack I'd recommend HD supports or braces. Hope it gives ideas vs baskets for someone
That is awesome. Thank you for the pic!

Back