When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone here own a Miami / Flying Merkel Bicycle?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Looking at the beefiness of the chainring and the dogleg...this might have been a setup for an early motor bicycle?

The 1" D&J drivetrain was used on multiple high end bicycles before Miami bought the company (theres a thread in the CABE's archive addressing the company).

Hudson exclusively used the D&J setup. Miami bought Hudson Bicycles, and subsequently bought Park City Mfg., which owned D&J.

Fender brace observations from my 1921+/- Racycle: When I purchased the bike it was missing part of the the rear fender brace. With comparative research I found this type of brace (double rivets just below the fender) appears on a handful of other late teens/early 20's Racycles. Fortunately I was able to locate a replacement. Just before I mounted the brace I could make out an imprint that would be hidden after attachment to the fender. It reads "Wald Mfr. Made in USA, Patented." It seems Wald's proprietary idea with these braces is the two small side tabs that aid in securing a square nut in place.

C8E86C0F-EB16-42FC-97BE-6ABB8247965F.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg
IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

Thank you all for those swell comments. Carlton, the bicycle DOES have the split bottom bracket .. none of
the fotos reveal the hardware. There is enough info remaining on the headtube decal to indicate the bicycle
is a Miami-Built Merkel. Also .. there is a brass, Model Tag above the decal .. can't remember the model number.
Miami Cycle rides often .. but not always .. have threaded chain-adjusters as part of their construction ... AND ...
Miami Cycle Rides often .. but not always .. have a split bottom bracket.

Here are a few more pics from the Cabe .. a few have been leaned-on with Paint.Net ... Scott Mc snapped the pics
when he visited my home a half-dozen years ago. Also, the Cabe Archives has this ride listed as a 1913 .. in reality
it is a 1912 Model.

Carlton .. thank you for all of the literature you posted .. Good Stuff !!!!!!

................ patric

Post Script ... The SHORT rear fender is made that way ... the port and starboard, edge under-bends are mitered at 45 degrees .. top and bottom.
An interesting footnote .. when I picked up the bicycle, (delivered to a Perrysburg, Ohio - MLC Spring Swap Meet in the late 1990's) .. I found an exact-
replacement, NOS, rear fender for this ride ... on the "fender-boneyard-shelf" inside MLC. The newer-fender is intended to replace the original that had
acquired a bunch of welds in the area between the fender bridges .. sometime during it's lifetime. During the exact moment I spotted that NOS fender ..
a big-bosom lady with a Dutch accent informed me I had a square of toilet-paper sticking to my shoe .. and I heard a bell ring.

I want to see that fork! Wow

View attachment 119274View attachment 119275View attachment 119276View attachment 119277

Back