When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Schwinn I hate.

-

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

Back in the spring of 2015 my wife [pictured above] got a call from her friend that they were about to toss out a bike that they had bought back in 1973. It was a Schwinn tandem. The wife said, "I'll send my husband over to get it. We'd love to have it." I said,

"I DON"T WANT NO STINKEN TANDEM!

She won. I got the tandem. She forced me to buy two new saddles for it, as the originals were too "hard." I also put a nice 70's Schwinn rear carrier on it., so she could carry "things" on the long trips she wanted to take on it. We rode the stinking thing "ONCE."
WELL IT"S FINALLY GONE! I put the original saddles back on it and I gave it to a friend who "loves" selling bikes. All I wanted for it was 100 bucks. He sold it today, 5 hours after he put it in front of his house, for 300.

NEVER buy a tandem. They're big, bulky and a pain in the ass to move around and store and, you will ride them maybe once, maybe twice, but never again.

Hey @the tinker , I have a 1969 Sky Blue Deluxe frame I'll give you just in case you change your mind and want to build one up. I rode it around the back yard a couple a times but my dog kept falling off the back seat and she never helped pedal the damn thing so I tore it down saving the wheel sets and then parted out all the goodies that were left. Maybe you could make a neat fence gate with the frame?

I had one I got in a large collection. I totally tore it apart, cleaned and serviced it, and we took one ride around the yard and she said "I'd rather ride my own bike". Sold it two days later to a young couple! I think a lot of people have tandem stories. V/r Shawn

... I built a custom "StingRay" out of this Kool Lemon tandem ... rode it once with my daughter ... then got lucky and sold it at Christmas time to a couple of chicks who thought it would be cool to ride in the slow roll bike ride in downtown Detroit during the summer ...

I HAD A BALLOON TIRE TANDEM FOR MANY YEARS. 40 PLUS.
BOUGHT IT FOR $35. TOOK OF S-7 RIMS AN PUT S-2 RIMS AND 2.125 TIRES. A SPRING FORK,
FRONT WHEEL SCHWINN DRUM BRAKE AND RODE IT FOR 25 YEARS WITH THE WIFE.
GREAT FOR CRUISING THE FOREST TRAILS. ALSO ADDED LAMBS WOOL SEAT COVERS AND A LOUD BELL.
SWEET MEMORIES.

I curse mine every time I try to get in the shed. Almost always take a set of bars to the side trying to reach over it. Owned it for 25 years and only ridden with wife once. Would love to see it being used by someone else and stored at their house.

Back