When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil based spray paint

-
Gillespie Coatings paint in the military vehicle restoration arena .
ALKYD ENAMEL

Last edited:
I've sprayed a few hundred metal doors and W.I. fencing with an alkyd enamel made by Sherwin Williams. I also sprayed my old 40's International truck bed trailer my Grandfather in Law gave me. Only problem I had with it was when I used it in temperatures well below the recommend application temperature.

Go for it , whenever I spray outdoors I always take the hose and water everything down around me to keep the dust down
You could wet down the feed room

If you buy it in a can to spray you'll undoubtedly have to thin it. Use toluene for a faster drying time.

The worst episode I had with oil-based spray paint was a can of a new type of rustoleum metal red. It initially after a day or two dried to where dust would not stick and embed, but it took months for it to harden and cure/dry completely. Couldn't hardly touch the thing, and it only did harden when I put it out in the hot 95 degree sun every day for a week or two. Good looking strong paint after that. I also found it curious, that shortly after I bought it, they stopped making the paint. That drying issue I wonder, may have been the reason why they stopped selling it, but I don't know. Don't usually have such a problem with rustoleum, even in winter.

This is the type of feedback I was fishing for . Thank You

"but it took months for it to harden and cure/dry completely. Couldn't hardly touch the thing, and it only did harden when I put it out in the hot 95 degree sun every day for a week or two. Good looking strong paint after that."

I live in Florida so sunny hot days won't be a problem and I have other projects to keep me busy while it dries .

Back