When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Run on Sanitizer, Face Masks, Toilet Paper, and Now Bicycles? Look at what I saw today!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

The Carolina Rambler

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello everyone! I don't know how many of yall go to Wal-mart from time to time. I tend to go every once in a while for this or that, and when I do I always go and check the Garden Center and look around, and the bicycle department. Although I wouldn't really think about buying a new bike, being a vintage bicycle enthusiast, it is still fun to go and see the new bikes that are available these days. When I went there and looked today, there was not a one bike on that rack! Usually, there are nearly 100 bikes on the rack, and sales are steady but fairly slow compared to a lot of other things. And yes, there are still assemblers, and there are still shipments coming in. This is North Carolina, and unfortunately, for the most part, there is very little bicycle riding of any kind that goes on, especially outside of cities like Raleigh or Charlotte or the beach. People around here usually buy their child a bike, the child rides it for a day or two up around the block or yard, its sits in the garage for a few years, then gets scrapped, donated, or set out on the curb. Most of the time, I am the only one riding on my old bikes around my town, even in good weather. I just could not believe how many were sold, more demand than supply, this is unprecedented in these parts, the Walmart employees agree when I talked with them, and I would have sooner reckoned to see this in California or New York City or somewhere in China! Have yall seen this happen around where you live, where did they all go?

Here's how it normally looks, as you can see, bikes on top of one another:
walmart-bike-area-shot-041618a-1523904608.jpg

And here it is today!

1589818805630.png

1589818848650.png

1589818879817.png

When I need to ship something I trade beer for boxes with a lbs in Springfield MO. They are doing the social distance thing with front door locked so as to limit numbers in store. Went by the other day mechanic said numbers are now better than they were last year at this time.

I was talking to a buddy last month who helps out occasionally helps at a bike store and he said the owner was worried he would run out of bikes. That made a light bulb go on and I sold 6 bikes I have been trying to sell for a while since. These were all bikes that people could easily ride mostly road bikes. I like these buyers, they take a quick look and hand over your full asking price. The only one that has not even got a reply on is a collector bike.

you were checking for those Walmart Stingrays! well hopefully more people go out on their bikes.
It sounds like cites are making bike riding and ped traffic streets on some weekends.

I saw that my neighbor had a new MTB and asked him about it. He was at the LBS when he saw this copper-colored, full-suspension Scott bike and had to have it. Two other fellas were looking at it, but he brought it home for a cool $3K. Shopkeeper said that bikes are flying out the door. For me, if I paid that much money, I would want a car.

you were checking for those Walmart Stingrays! well hopefully more people go out on their bikes.
It sounds like cites are making bike riding and ped traffic streets on some weekends.
I was checking for when they would get in another shipment of Walmart Elgin Bluebirds, but they said they've been sold out of those for quite a long while!

Well I haven’t been out other than to pick up food due to stay at home, but I’ve sold every bike I’ve listed, and hear other friends are having the same experience. I only wish I was stocked up on more modern riders :). Good to see more people are re discovering biking. Hopefully a few stick with it if things return to normal. #savethebillionaires

EDIT: I almost forgot - I myself, in fact, ordered a spanking new bike from a well known but small company. The kind that assembles each bike per order. The GM told me they have been doing very well, and it’s been a problem since they are down some employees and also working from home as much as possible. That was great to hear, in spite of having to wait a bit for my new ride :)

Last edited:
Here's today's New York Times.

Looks like this is happening everywhere. I'm on the e-mail list of one LBS here, and about a month ago they sent out an e-mail saying they are having difficulty getting enough bikes, so people will need to look at buying a more expensive bike. I'm happy for the bike shops. I've been concerned their business might be way down, but looks like it's the opposite. I have not been to the shop because of state restrictions, so I had no idea how things were going. I do need some parts, so may need to call them. I'd better get some of my old bikes fixed up for sale!

We were out riding yesterday, and when we went by the local bike shop, there was a line of people that wrapped around the building.
We all took notice and said, Wow! What’s going on in there.
I said, maybe Lance Armstrong was signing jerseys or something. Lol!
I had no idea, that many people were lining up just to buy a bike.
I’m glad I’m all stocked up.
I should be able to ride this one out.
Lol!

Back