When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Varsity Trike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I had the trike out for it's first shakedown run.

First off, the cranks are too long for the 20" front wheel, they just touch the ground. I put a 24 on the front and out the driveway I went. I expected it to be hard to pedal, given the rider position and the heavy back tires. It pedals very easy. Without any brakes I didn't go far or too fast. It is a bit twitchy, but I think I just need to get used to it. It's going to be much faster than I thought.

I want to try a 451 front wheel, it might get me the height I need for crank clearance, if not I'll have to go down to 165 or 160mm cranks. I also think I should try a 44t chainring over the 39 on it now.

Last edited:
I found 152mm cranks are perfect for this trike. They are more comfortable and allow me to keep the 406 front wheel. I had to scrap the freewheel and derailleur I had on it. The derailleur hung to low for anything other than a smooth paved surface. I also don't need such a low first gear, this thing pedals very easy and it turns on a dime! The video has the old freewheel on it.

I built a tank for it.

How it looks on the bike,

Your Tank Design is Really Nice @Psychographic . Got's to love the versatility of Sheet Metal ( and Creative Thought Combined ) . Your One of a Kind Trike is WELL Worth the Effort your putting into it . Your R and D program seems to be working quite well . Keep up the Good Work ! :cool:
Thank you Curtis. I'm glad people are enjoying watching this come together, I know I'm enjoying trying new things, and seeing if my ideas work.

Sectioning fenders can be a bugger to get all lined up , but yours look very nice . Good job on the mod............Shape looks good. For people you don't like .............or make stupid comments about your trike.............................have 'em stand behind you and back up at full speed and take out their knees !! ;)

Back