When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold quick. Military Huffman?

-

fordmike65

Riding a '37 Colson Imperial
Just popped up for a sec on eBay and gone. I'm no expert, but those look like pretty beefy welds. Heavy Duty front wheel too :cool:

1592437624076.png

1592437639684.png

1592437656821.png

1592437671698.png

1592437690556.png

1592437712150.png

1592437730179.png

1592437751075.png

1592437768317.png

1592437787587.png

Hi Dave,

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

I make that H127471, with a fork date 93, September 1943.

This is very near the end of what appears to be the second contract for Huffman G519.

The closest frame I have recorded is H127317, which served in Cairo, Egypt. Seen here about midway down Liberator's web page. I think this now belongs to @HUFFMANBILL

For information, I now have 36 Huffman G519 recorded.

For Columbias, I have 2 MF, 65 MG, 5 MC and 9 Ladies MG recorded.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi Dave,

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

I make that H127471, with a fork date 93, September 1943.

This is very near the end of what appears to be the second contract for Huffman G519.

The closest frame I have recorded is H127317, which served in Cairo, Egypt. Seen here about midway down Liberator's web page. I think this now belongs to @HUFFMANBILL

For information, I now have 36 Huffman G519 recorded.

For Columbias, I have 2 MF, 65 MG, 5 MC and 9 Ladies MG recorded.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Thanks Adrian,

I asked the seller for history, but he had none. It was found in Colorado... no history beyond that is know.

Fortunately, I have a few of the missing parts already in my junk pile.... handlebars, headlight, pump/clamp. Possibly have a chain-guard, pedals and side stand. The only part I'm confused about is the fenders/braces. They look very generic, so I may have some already... or are these fender unique to these bikes?

DS

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the additional information.

It's good that you have parts stashed for this, they are harder to find spares for that the Columbia's.

I forgot to mention that the original Morrow rear hub was probably dated M3, all the known Morrows from the last part of this group are M3, and September is probably too early to have moved onto an M4. That said, it's common for these bikes not to have the original Morrow, tires would be changed in a workshop where there might be several bikes, or even spare wheels ready to go, so they would be easily mixed up.

Incidentally, the Torrington 8 pedals on the bike are the correct ones, just lacking the wooden blocks. If you decide to replace them, then I would be happy to buy them off you, please let me know (-:

Here's a photo study of an unrestored Huffman, built about a month before yours, H124670

This gives you some good close ups of the fender braces on a Huffman, they hav a ridge pressed into them, and the hole for the axle is elongated, which is a weak point and often found broken/repaired.

I can't say how 'generic' the fenders are, but they certainly appear on prewar Huffmans, such as this Dec 1941..

Going back to the unrestored bike, you should note some unusual features. The pedals ar not Torrington 8's but Persons, though they have wood blocks, and look like they could have been original. The side stand is not standard, but Huffmanbill says that these have appeared on several Huffmans. The wheel rims are not the type like your front wheel, but straight sided (I'm sure there's a term I don't know), and this occurs on quite a few Huffmans, including mine.

Parts variations due to wartime shortages is not uncommon, and can be seen on many military vehicles. This bike was built at the same time as a big contract was going through Westfield, so , as a smaller purchaser, they were probably second in line for parts.

The gurrd on wartime Huffmans (and , I think, prewar), is a little diffzerent to postwar, there is an oval lined pattern pressed into the leading edge of the guard.

The upper bracket for the truss rods is different beytween a Huffman and Columbia. The Columbia has a rounded bracket, like this one from Bergerwerke

The Huffman has a squarer bracket, as seen in the unrestored bike pictures. The lower bracket on these late models is the same.

The bolt heads are also recessed on the Huffman, and rounded on the Columbia, the slots for the axle are again elongated on the Huffman.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back