When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resurrecting Campus Green Paint thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I prepared a piece of pipe with silver paint. I sprayed the House of Kolor organic green over the silver. Here is how it looks.

View attachment 1215324

How did that happen. I tried to force it to focus on the pipe and it still managed to focus on the background. How are we ever going to have self driving cars if we cannot get the camera to focus on subject? Sorry for the rant. This is the only picture that I have. You can still see the color. You may notice that the finish is not shiny. This is intended to be clear coated in the next step.
How many coats? Color looks light. Try another coat. Good luck. Razin.

It's being shot over a silver/aluminum base. Shooting a green candy over a red primer surely wouldn't work.
What he is spraying is too light and bright. The silver is adding to that. Campus green is darker and browner. Red or brown base might shift the color in the right direction. Went the spray can route instead of just having a match done. Cans have been paid for. Sounded like he shot the frame a week ago. Should have been cleared right after

Thanks for the replies. Yes, you are right about looking at the two monitors. And the frame is light because I didn't want to get too dark, because I can't go back. I wanted to sneak up on it.

Anyway, attached are pictures of the fork. It is a little darker than the frame, but I think it needs to go more olive (red/orange) to be correct. It is a good idea spraying over red primer. I think the color might be right but I don't know about the candy apple effect.

Well, that is the dilemma that I'm in now.

You are spraying a lot of paint!. Get a piece of sheet metal. Mask of sections with different base color and number of coats. Mark what you are doing. Then mask off half of that panel and clear it. You will have a sample of what the final look is. A original part with Campus Green is important to compare with. Until then it is all a guesstimate!

I was able to track down where I went wrong. House of Kolor has a range of formulations that they call organic green. I saw that TCP Global had "organic green" n a spray can and jumped at it without doing my home work. The color sample that I listed in post #38 is the one that I wanted. It still might not have been a "dead on" match but it should have been closer. Since I was spraying the whole bike I wan't too concerned.

By the way, I learned one more thing trying to figure out where I went wrong, I spoke to a helpful rep' at TCP Global named Sonny and he asked if I had sprayed it over black base coat. "Well, no." He said that this was designed to be sprayed over black. I did come across that when I was looking at HOK Kandy colors, but figured that since Schwinn painted over silver, I was going to do that too. I saw a video by Jon Kosmoski, the founder of House of Kolor, where he talked about candy colors over black to give it depth. Wow, that is new to me. This has been a learning experience.

I still have to figure out my next move. Whether I will respray with another color or leave what I have.

Be mindful of how many coats you are putting down. The paint is designed to get coverage and then stop. Too many coats might not be durable. Lots of base coats are designed to be clear coated within a time window. Miss that window and might have adhesion problems. Ask your helpful rep. He should know!

Back