When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resurrecting Campus Green Paint thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Here is the Toyota Spruce Mica on a Tacoma:

This is from a TacomaWorld forum member named BlueRidge. Nice picture.

A little olive a little emerald.

I think that Teeyota green is way to dark. The 1968 Firebird green is closer but still not exact. This would be my choice for Campus cause I love this color. Verdoro Green.

1597466443985.png

@Jeff54 I didn't even think about Waterford. Good idea, it does look a bit emerald green. Thanks for the lead with the '68 (I think) Firebird @GTs58 . I agree with you that the Toyota looks dark. I think it is dark too, however with candy paints, they are not applied full strength. It will start out light green and get darker with each coat. That's why I think it could work. You can make the same argument for Vedoro Green. An extra coat will darken it up. The important part is the color and not the tint or concentration. I think your Firebird is the right color or close.

I'm going to spray some Koolest Kolors Campus Green on an aluminum sample panel first. I may visit a paint shop, see how much it cost for the spectrum analysis, then make a decision what paint to use. Normally, it would be easy, use the Koolest Kolors, it's paid for. But, if it doesn't cover with the half pint, I'll have to buy more. We'll see after I test spray this panel and think about it for another week.

So if Verado Green is too light and Spruce Mica is too dark..... what if we mixed the two together. This is getting crazy.

I opened the can from Koolest Kolors up to get ready to spray a sample. It was raining all day, so I didn't get a chance to paint. However, here is a picture of the paint. Many CABE members have commented that there was no metallic flecks or flakes in Schwinn radiant colors and that might be true. This paint looks like it has some metallic fleck in it. I can't wait to try a test sample.

Last edited:
So if Verado Green is too light and Spruce Mica is too dark..... what if we mixed the two together. This is getting crazy.

I opened the can from Koolest Kolors up to get ready to spray a sample. It was raining all day, so I didn't get a chance to paint. However, here is a picture of the paint. Many CABE members have commented that there was no metallic flecks or flakes in Schwinn radiant colors and that might be true. This paint looks like it has some metallic fleck in it. I can't wait to try a test sample.

View attachment 1249536
It has something in it. Mica is a VERY fine plastic reflective flake Might also be some sort of pearl

Many CABE members have commented that there was no metallic flecks or flakes in Schwinn radiant colors and that might be true. This paint looks like it has some metallic fleck in it.

According to the January 1966 Schwinn Reporter, bronze flecks were added to Sky Blue, Radiant Coppertone, and Violet paints.
Campus Green had not debuted yet, but I would imagine that the flecks were added to that as well.

View attachment 1249536
That's not the top candy coat, it's touch-up or similar to what Schwinn sold as a repaint. That explains why they're wanting you to put a gloss coat over it but, actual candy paint that Schwinn did, it is not. The sparkle in Schwinn's bikes comes from the aluminum base.

Aluminum is mixed with clear and sprayed over red lead then, transparent- translucent color coat 'Candy' is sprayed over it. The colored top coat in Schwinn's bikes did not have any sparkly metal flakes at all.

1955-corvette-opal-red-laye-jpg-jpg.jpg

Interestingly, this sample is on a 55 Opal red, under where badge protected it from exposure. and the clear that aluminum flake is mixed into, has cracks in it, just like actual opals do, fractions .. I mean, you can not see this in photo as it looks like the red is cracked, but it's not, the cracking is reflecting through the red. So, it indicates that radiant colors did not have the same effect but otherwise through all the years, at least into early 80's they're all Candy.

Last edited:
Campus green

I did not take this shot, IDK 3-4 year ago, 1969 Super sport, for depth of paint but B/C, at the time, Peeps were confused if This color and paint was the same as all others. Red lead primer, Aluminum coat; seen in edges of chips, and green. However, at that time, I did try not, in this photo but others, unsuccessfully, to shoot through the transparent top coat and what's so different. . my Measly 10 year old 5k camera , doesn't have the capability that newer does, without needing to use lights, a tripod and reflectors to get a good shot. . Regardless, I still have this bike and, there is no metallic, zero in the green candy top coat.

p2160576-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Back