When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

i.d. old frame

-

mickalica

On Training Wheels
hi, trying to id this frame i got few days ago. probably from 1940s, maybe italian, bb is 68cm. inner shell diameter is almost 34mm, seatpost 25mm. interesting part are ribbed seat stays. it had metal headbadge, there are holes, no fork. original colour was somewhat like old celeste but don't take me for it. final cleaning is coming, polishing to see if i can find any marking, so far, none to be seen. swiss or french

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0445 (1).jpg

IMG_0448 (1).jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

Last edited:
68mm bottom bracket doesn't sound Italian (I'm used to it being 70mm, although I don't know how far that convention dates back)

English are 68 as well (not all). French is a good bet --you may never be able to tell French or swiss because the threading is the same and French builders sometimes adopted the more rational directional threading of the Swiss---that is to say, french bikes with Swiss B.B. Just to be clear, French BBs have a fixed cup (right side of bike)that is right-hand thread(generally considered dumb). Swiss has a left-handed fixed cup. You could of course use either BBs to help you determine if you have one, the other, or neither.

Back