When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Terminology

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
As long as we're making U-turns while driving in the wrong lane going the wrong direction on a one-way street. Try this one on. Seven different ways that words containing the tetragraph 'ough' are pronounced. Each of the following words has a different pronunciation for ough. Do you know each of the seven?

rough
cough
drought
although
bought
slough
thorough

These are words used in common American English and do not include words used in British, Scottish, Australian, and New Zealand English. Most of those words are names of places so they don't count unless you live there.
Now you know why people immigrating to America find it difficult to learn English. Basically the only rule is 'There are no rules when it comes to pronunciation.'
All bear the stamp of the Germanic origin of English. It's a wonder some of these have not yet transformed into more Anglicized forms. Consider Draught-now Draft or Draw (as in beer for instance). Or Plough--now commonly Plow, Perhaps Americanized is more accurate

Language is what binds us. It is a living, breathing, flowing thing that changes and where the shared vernacular gets added to all the time, or words or phrases fall completely out of use. It's also give and take. It requires collaboration with another person in conversation. As long as you both know the thing you're talking about, then you agree. If one wants to use the correct terminology when describing things, that's passion for the subject, and a desire to elevate the conversation, not necessarily snobbery, or pedantry. A person's lexicon is there to share with others, but also what defines them. Should we be arguing over nomenclature? I don't think so... we should be trying to learn from one another and shaping this thing we all share, language.

When I first rode a high-wheeler I didn't really know what to call it? Big wheel bike seemed more like a plastic trike you rode as a kid, and Penny Farthing didn't make any sense since I had no idea they were coins from England. Some called it a high-wheeler, but even that sounded like the circus. Our bike brother TR6SC, (RIP Mikey) who was showing me how to ride it told me that in the day (1870s to 1890s) they were often simply referred to as "the machine" and often lived in the house; a very serious, revered piece of personal transportation equipment. not a kid's toy or for fun/exercise. After a while they were called "ordinary"... they are anything but ordinary these days, but they were quite ordinary by about 1875.. There are references to them as "the horse that nerry says neigh", they were the only other choice for personal transportation next to something you had to feed, clean, house and take to the vet... the ordinary quickly became far superior.

Sorry if that sounds elite, snobby, or pedantic, I'm just trying to elevate the conversation by enlightening; you are welcome to tell me to go F myself but unfortunately that's the dead end of the conversation.

Last edited:
One last one from yours truly.

A different spelling for a common noun.

GHOTI

Anyone care to take a guess?

Back