When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold Early Luxury Liner

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Price
$850.00
Zipcode

ballooney

I live for the CABE
Let's try this again. Up for your consideration is an original Roadmaster Luxury Liner...there has been some discourse about the year of this bike and consensus pegs the year at 1949. The A serial number was used in 1947 and again in 1949. This bike appears to be a 1949 with a 1950 tank...I believe this tank to be original to the bike based on information from the prior owner and the patina matches perfectly. A likely explanation is that CWC used up their series 1 parts and married it up with a series 2 tank so in essence a transition bike? Nonetheless, this is an early Luxury Liner and if you have tried to find one, there aren't a lot out there and those that have survived look like boat anchors. The design of the bike was by famed industrial designer Brooks Stevens (famous for the design of the Oscar Meyer Weiner mobile among other things). I love the lines on the early model Luxury Liners compared to the '50 and up models...this is one of the most elegant post war designs...Brooks nailed it! Bike is a legit CW stamped frame in original paint + patina minus the chain guard which has been repainted (chrome gills still present so done tastefully), tank and rack in original paint as well. Headlight is a reproduction but I have the original which will be included and was repainted likely at the same time as the chain guard. Bike has some wear as one would expect but no major warts...tank is solid, bike rides beautifully. Bike is equipped with barrel tail light (no rot), working horn, Torrington 10 pedals, gulco rear reflector, shockmaster fork (I actually think these ride better than the Schwinn springer), killer head badge, nice chrome...all the goodies you would expect. Asking $850 plus shipping.

Check out the pics...they tell the story...this bike is gorgeous.

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2946.jpg

IMG_2947.jpg

IMG_2948.jpg

IMG_2949.jpg

IMG_2950.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2952.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2959.jpg

IMG_2962.jpg

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

IMG_2964.jpg

IMG_2968.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

Last edited:
"consensus pegs the year at 1949." Out of curiosity, which 'consensus' would that be?
I mean, it is tough figuring out the dates in post war CWC but, from what I've seen, and I aint no expert for the mess regarding this dating system but the A sequence beginning in 1946 is restarted at 49 however that 'is an Serial set followed by ACw whereas it becomes the next system marks. following the ACw gets easy with 52Cw (1952), 53Cw (1953), 54Cw Etc. In your serial number set The A proceeds this nomenclature or series and type of set. the A is proceeding the serial numbers (Axxxxx) that is followed with only an Cw stamp I.E. no letter or number next too or directly proceeding the Cw stamp, (Axxxxxx Cw) Accordingly, marks the date around 1946-7 and ACw Marks the date before 1952.

The A series is restarted but the Nomenclature, style, set or type of mark is modified beginning 1949-1/2: ACw verses 1946: Axxxxx Cw. Or Simply: A00000 Cw, represents 1946-ish And A0000 ACw becomes 1949-1/2-ish and A00000 52Cw would be 1952-ish

Last edited:
"consensus pegs the year at 1949." Out of curiosity, which 'consensus' would that be?
I mean, it is tough figuring out the dates in post war CWC but, from what I've seen, and I aint no expert for the mess regarding this dating system but the A sequence beginning in 1946 is restarted at 49 however that 'is an Serial set followed by ACw whereas it becomes the next system marks. following the ACw gets easy with 52Cw (1952), 53Cw (1953), 54Cw Etc. In your serial number set The A proceeds this nomenclature or series and type of set. the A is proceeding the serial numbers (Axxxxx) that is followed with only an Cw stamp I.E. no letter or number next too or directly proceeding the Cw stamp, (Axxxxxx Cw) Accordingly, marks the date around 1946-7 and ACw Marks the date before 1952.

The A series is restarted but the Nomenclature, style, set or type of mark is modified beginning 1949-1/2: ACw verses 1946: Axxxxx Cw. Or Simply: A00000 Cw, represents 1946-ish And A0000 ACw becomes 1949-1/2-ish and A00000 52Cw would be 1952-ish
Good info...that's probably the best summary of CW serial numbers I've seen. Thanks for posting.
Is there any other way to determine date such as Schwinn stamped prewar cranks with a year...did CWC do anything like that?

The bike appears correct for a 1949 model except for the tanks. The 1948 thru 1950 models have the horn and horn button located on the left side of the tank. The 1951 thru 1953 models have the horn and button on the right side of the tank.
Attached is a picture of a first year 1948 model which was the only year to have painted black fenders. All models from 1949 to 1953 have the chrome fenders.

1948 Roadmaster.jpg

The bike appears correct for a 1949 model except for the tanks. The 1948 thru 1950 models have the horn and horn button located on the left side of the tank. The 1951 thru 1953 models have the horn and button on the right side of the tank.
Attached is a picture of a first year 1948 model which was the only year to have painted black fenders. All models from 1949 to 1953 have the chrome fenders.

View attachment 1285711
Unless you mean that, only a real Luxury Liner has decal on chain guard then, otherwise, I fail to see your point

There's plenty Ads, cut out of magazines, printed in 1947, Black fenders only. No Chain guard decal but, it's the same thing.

Dec 12 1947:

1947_12_06-189_SP-big.jpg

Great news that the bike sold - it was a really good deal !!
My main point for attaching the pic of the '48 bike was to show the difference in the horn button location for the tanks.
Regarding the original factory use of chainguard decals on the Luxury Liner bikes, there were no decals used on the '48 thru '50 models.
Attached are two pictures of an original '51 or '52 model Luxury Liner and a green 1953 Luxury Liner for comparison. Note that the original chainguard decal on the '51 and '52 models was gold lettering with a black outline. The reproduction anniversary edition bikes are easily spotted by the chainguard Luxury Liner decal which is solid white. Sadly, no one offers a correct reproduction chainguard decal for the '51 or '52 Luxury Liner bikes.

Orig. Roadmaster.jpg

Orig. Chainguard.jpg

1953 Roadmaster.jpg

Good info...that's probably the best summary of CW serial num
What do you make of the serial no. on this Luxury Liner? J99879 CW

bers I've seen. Thanks for posting.
Is there any other way to determine date such as Schwinn stamped prewar cranks with a year...did CWC do anything like that?
Unfortunately, never took my pre and post, 2 bikes apart. However Unlike proud Schwinn I Think The Mad Hatter' who made a set of parts all the same compatibility, Tossed colors and brands and having boasted too having about 100 different head badges on his desk, might not like his parts shelves dated. "You want 100 bikes? Pick one here. You want 1,000, I'll make a new for U. Or new made for 100 bikes, whatever. The CWC dude, Mad hatter would whip up a larger color palliate, multi-colored pins, and parts, wala! It's "Completely" different.

Regardless, I ran across this a few days ago and IDK how accurate it is but it looks like the site owner simplified Phil's CWC dating thread:

Last edited:
Unfortunately, never took my pre and post, 2 bikes apart. However Unlike proud Schwinn I Think The Mad Hatter' who made a set of parts all the same compatibility, Tossed colors and brands and having boasted too having about 100 different head badges on his desk, might not like his parts shelves dated. "You want 100 bikes? Pick one here. You want 1,000, I'll make a new for U. Or new made for 100 bikes, whatever. The CWC dude, Mad hatter would whip up a larger color palliate, multi-colored pins, and parts, wala! It's "Completely" different.

Regardless, I ran across this a few days ago and IDK how accurate it is but it looks like the site owner simplified Phil's CWC dating thread:
This is from my website and yes I cleaned up Phil’s list to make it easier to read. V/r Shawn

Back