When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie with a 53 Roadmaster

-

rush2112

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi Folks, newbie here! I picked up this beauty at an auction near me and I've tried to do my homework on it. It's a 1953 ladies AMF Roadmaster Luxury Liner. I've seen it referred to as a "Christmas edition" and that this color was only offered in 53. I know almost nothing about judging condition, but she appears to be in pretty nice shape. It looks like the headlight fixture may have been replaced because it is a very slightly different color than the frame. Other than that, I'm not sure if anything else has been replaced. The headlight doesn't work but I haven't opened it up to check the battery and bulb. To my surprise and delight, the horn works! The serial number is A70421 53. It's a cool bicycle and I thought I'd share it with you all. I'm not familiar with the rules here, but is it OK to ask about value? Thanks in advance for any info you can share!

IMG_6273.JPG

IMG_6274.JPG

IMG_6276.JPG

IMG_6278.JPG

IMG_6279.JPG

IMG_6280.JPG

IMG_6282.JPG

IMG_6283.JPG

IMG_6284.JPG

IMG_6285.JPG

IMG_6286.JPG

IMG_6287.JPG

IMG_6288.JPG

IMG_6289.JPG

IMG_6290.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice, original bike. I have the boys version. Green was one year only as well as that head badge. I don't know where the 'Christmas' fallacy got started but these were offered throughout '53--not just at Christmas. I'll let others comment on value. V/r Shawn

Very nice, original bike. I have the boys version. Green was one year only as well as that head badge. I don't know where the 'Christmas' fallacy got started but these were offered throughout '53--not just at Christmas. I'll let others comment on value. V/r Shawn
Thanks so much for your feedback!

GREAT BIKE! I'd like to know the story behind that bike. Had to be stored indoors it's entire life. I've seen original Schwinns that were supposedly never ridden, but hung up as a display in a garage their entire life. I think Schwinn had the best plating of them all, but they were still covered in surface rust. This bike is an exception. I have a feeling there's a sad story behind this bike. Happy for you to get it. Welcome to the CABE

GREAT BIKE! I'd like to know the story behind that bike. Had to be stored indoors it's entire life. I've seen original Schwinns that were supposedly never ridden, but hung up as a display in a garage their entire life. I think Schwinn had the best plating of them all, but they were still covered in surface rust. This bike is an exception. I have a feeling there's a sad story behind this bike. Happy for you to get it. Welcome to the CABE
Thanks so much! Yes, even as a clueless amateur, I can tell the condition of the chrome is really exceptional. Would love to know the story behind it also! I might have to follow up with the auctioneer and see if he can tell me anything.

Back