When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie searching for Schwinn parts

-

melsprocket

On Training Wheels
Hello all,

I'm new to the site and like all the helpful posts. I have a few Schwinn bikes that I would like to sell and figured it may help to replace a few parts. I am looking for pedals to put on a 1964 black Typhoon and a seat for a 24 inch 1957 green and white Spitfire. They could also use rear fender reflectors.

So I am looking for advice on how to go about finding the correct parts. I also have a blue 1952 Schwinn that I don't think needs any upgrades, but I am just guessing what model it is.

There may be advice out there on whether or not it makes sense to upgrade before selling. I don't mind the work because I enjoy it, but why spend money if not worth doing so. I appreciate any thoughts on my bikes.

Thanks,

Mel

52 Schwinn.jpeg

57 spitfire.jpeg

64 typhoon.jpeg

My advice is you will not get anymore for the bikes with new parts on them. You may even get less as they would not be original to a restorer. Make up your mind what $$$ you want and if it doesn't sell lower the price. Roger

Girls bike looks like a Hornet I think, The seat for spitfire is similar to the one on the hornet but mens version sometimes refered to as mens heavyweight set not a Phantom seat they are there own bird.The pedals for the Typhoon are typical Large diamond or waffle block pedal no reflectors. The seat is more difficult then the pedals. Like Roger Henning said its up to you those bike will sell reguardless of the missing parts. Good luck

Hello all,

I'm new to the site and like all the helpful posts. I have a few Schwinn bikes that I would like to sell and figured it may help to replace a few parts. I am looking for pedals to put on a 1964 black Typhoon and a seat for a 24 inch 1957 green and white Spitfire. They could also use rear fender reflectors.

So I am looking for advice on how to go about finding the correct parts. I also have a blue 1952 Schwinn that I don't think needs any upgrades, but I am just guessing what model it is.

There may be advice out there on whether or not it makes sense to upgrade before selling. I don't mind the work because I enjoy it, but why spend money if not worth doing so. I appreciate any thoughts on my bikes.

Thanks,

Mel

1st off, I don't think the girl blue bike is a 52 . Not completely certain though as, its goose neck/stem is a Wald and, think Schwinn didn't use them until a few years later. IDK if anybody has pinned down which year they did. Regardless, its seat is probably the same as you could have in your green bike. Schwinn used The same seats on their junior models as with any sized girls except, usually, a girl seat would be medium brown, tan or white. And that girl looks like it's got a Spitfire badge? they were pretty common so, without a decal , which could have a different name yet have a spitfire badge too, that's what it would be. Are its rims middleweight, S7 ?, B/C Middleweights began in 54 then, for sure it is not 52. I would not swap that spitfire badge onto to the green Jr. bike though.

That rack on the green 24" junior looks funky as, it's a Wald yet, I've never seen any other type of rack on a mid-50's Junior Schwinn. It seems that, in catalogs and such, the only rack Schwinn had for Jr. models, by this time, was Wald's 9 hole. There's plenty Wald 9 hole for 26" bikes especially newer but, not so for 24 and 20" Jr. bikes. It would also seem that, Schwinn stopped making junior racks about the same time they were buying Wald's stems yet, unless a bike was a little higher end, those stems were used somewhat randomly until later; more frequently.. Wald period, especially on girl or low end and junior, is tricky but don't think on a 52. It's probably a duplicated serial number and if so then, the newer ought to be it. The rack on your girl was also used just past mid 50's and I think it's the 1956 year that's got duplicated numbers.

If you gonna sell stuff, I'd dump the girl and Typhoon well before losing a Ballooner boy Junior. I.E. Rob that black seat for it B/C it's a lot easier to replace it with a girls lighter colored one. I mean, for the money, if you got S2 rims on the boy and S7 on the girl then, that Junior should be worth more than the girl and Typhoon all together. Juniors, especially ballooners, are WAY harder to find.

Last edited:
Like Roger said if you're selling I wouldn't put a nickel in them because there will be little to no return on investment. V/r Shawn

Girls bike looks like a Hornet I think, The seat for spitfire is similar to the one on the hornet but mens version sometimes refered to as mens heavyweight set not a Phantom seat they are there own bird.The pedals for the Typhoon are typical Large diamond or waffle block pedal no reflectors. The seat is more difficult then the pedals. Like Roger Henning said its up to you those bike will sell reguardless of the missing parts. Good luck
Thanks Junkie. I thought it might be a Hornet as well.

1st off, I don't think the girl blue bike is a 52 . Not completely certain though as, its goose neck/stem is a Wald and, think Schwinn didn't use them until a few years later. IDK if anybody has pinned down which year they did. Regardless, its seat is probably the same as you could have in your green bike. Schwinn used The same seats on their junior models as with any sized girls except, usually, a girl seat would be medium brown, tan or white. And that girl looks like it's got a Spitfire badge? they were pretty common so, without a decal , which could have a different name yet have a spitfire badge too, that's what it would be. Are its rims middleweight, S7 ?, B/C Middleweights began in 54 then, for sure it is not 52. I would not swap that spitfire badge onto to the green Jr. bike though.

That rack on the green 24" junior looks funky as, it's a Wald yet, I've never seen any other type of rack on a mid-50's Junior Schwinn. It seems that, in catalogs and such, the only rack Schwinn had for Jr. models, by this time, was Wald's 9 hole. There's plenty Wald 9 hole for 26" bikes especially newer but, not so for 24 and 20" Jr. bikes. It would also seem that, Schwinn stopped making junior racks about the same time they were buying Wald's stems yet, unless a bike was a little higher end, those stems were used somewhat randomly until later; more frequently.. Wald period, especially on girl or low end and junior, is tricky but don't think on a 52. It's probably a duplicated serial number and if so then, the newer ought to be it. The rack on your girl was also used just past mid 50's and I think it's the 1956 year that's got duplicated numbers.

If you gonna sell stuff, I'd dump the girl and Typhoon well before losing a Ballooner boy Junior. I.E. Rob that black seat for it B/C it's a lot easier to replace it with a girls lighter colored one. I mean, for the money, if you got S2 rims on the boy and S7 on the girl then, that Junior should be worth more than the girl and Typhoon all together. Juniors, especially ballooners, are WAY harder to find.
Thanks Jeff. Wow! Lots of good info.

You are about the blue girl, it is a Spitfire. I believe it has S7 rims. I assume it had a light when it was younger bc there are two holes on the front fender.

So the green balloon with the S2 rims is most valuable. That is starting to make sense to me. Interesting that the junior has some extra value because they are rare. I assumed the rack was after market on it.

Thanks Jeff. Wow! Lots of good info.

You are about the blue girl, it is a Spitfire. I believe it has S7 rims. I assume it had a light when it was younger bc there are two holes on the front fender.

So the green balloon with the S2 rims is most valuable. That is starting to make sense to me. Interesting that the junior has some extra value because they are rare. I assumed the rack was after market on it.

Yeah, cept, it's not nice to use that R word, rather, "Way harder to find". To put it n perspective, like, compare Black Phantoms: there's a bunch of em yet very popular too. I mean, there's probably, like, 1,000 old Black Phantoms out there for every 1 Balloon Junior. Yet ya hear that R word all of the time for a Black Phantom..

With collectibles value is dictated by demand. So, comparatively, while there's a ton of BF's and hardly any Jr. Balloons That R word is subjective and hardly relates to demand, value or supply.

In ballooners the demand is for 26"-ers so there's less people hunting the Juniors unless,,, >>> it's a Junior Phantom then, that R word is Okey dokey.

And that Jr. Rack, 'Aftermarket? nope! but, 'Schwinn Approved'. When it comes to 50's Jr. Racks and it's the only thing they sold or offered in catalogs on the bike since new and or the only rack you could get for it by dealer and even factory option. Differently though, the catalogs offered them painted too.

I mean, it's after market but it is not, at the same time.

I have one too but on a 1955 24" Corvette. Mine is pretty clean and doesn't look so awkward with the stainless steel fenders and such but still kind-a funky. However, B/C there ain't no Schwinn mid 50's Jr. rear carriers for these plus, >>, you could not even modify a 26" rack B/C it would be too long, stick out past rear tire too far. If ya gonna sell the bike then, offer as an option, otherwise, U just gonna give it away. IDK but mine has good thick chrome like Schwinn bikes have. And good thick chrome is a bit unusual for Wald, If yours does too, clean it up and Probably get 50 bucks for it elsewhere. Condition wise, prob more for mine but, maybe there is a difference for chrome thickness vs 'After market'

Last edited:
Back