When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm not in favor of rat bikes!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
ratty

mighta been a bit harsh on the rat lovers! But I do think that trends where everyone jumps on the same band wagon get boring. Remember those Chopper shows? Jesse, then OC...then whatever next. BORING! Look at what happened to JJ....burned out!
This forum is Vintage bikes first and foremost....and Classic and Antique! ...there is a ratrod site.
What else groundbreaking, 'cool' or different can be done with bikes? How about living bikes? Like chia pets! Part of the new Greening movement! Imagine watering your bike!!!
ok nevermind, heading out to get some satin black krylon and 120 spoke wheels, it's back to the rad rod idea, C'ya!

Actually this particular forum..

Is about custom bikes and that's why the poster put his post here. He is entitled to his opinion as you are to yours. I would suggest maybe checking out the gallery on ratrodbikes and see what some of these guys are doing. I think you'll find a lot more than satin black paint and 144 spoke wheels. I think it would do some people good to remember that bicycles were created to be ridden, enjoyed and well used and not sit as part of some dusty collection of a person who sees only their monetary value. I'm not saying you're guilty of this or anyone else on this site is (I've met some wonderful people)
I'm thinking that if our old bicycles could talk, they tell you of the wonderful times they've had...from the morning they were received by a happy child to the many adventures they shared. I'm also betting they'd tell you they love to do it all over again. So you go ratrodders! Rescue your bikes...ride them and love them!
(but leave me a few of the nice girls bikes I can restore :) )

Last edited:
Just Do It

Building a Rat Rod is a great way to LEARN
what makes a bike appealing to others
and to yourself.

It is LESSON one can start to break down
the composition of elements on a bike,
such as shapes, color, positive, negative
space and details you want the viewer
to be drawn to. Then the mechanics of
the bike, a stretched frame, a comfortable
ride, a harsh ride or a bit of both depending
on front suspension and tire choice.

You WILL find a new level of competence
in crawling, walking then running in
progression of creativity and execution of your
own newfound ability of creating a Rat Rod.
It is like a skill you develop with time,
like any medium whether drawing
with pen and paper or learning and
understanding what makes our bikes
so interesting.

Some of the reputable restorers in the hobby
cannot build Rat Rods because it will
ruin their credibilty as Grade A perfect to the
absolutely correct o mundo part down to the
fastener to the exact o mundo pinstripe thickness
type restorer which we all want for
our letter perfect restorations. But can
these restorers have fun with building
a cool as heck, visually intelligent Rat Rod,
maybe, if they let their worries of what
their potential original type bike clients
may think go to heck......

regards,
TheSaint

Yikes!

Yeah, it's too bad those varmits on the left coast rated out 20" bikes with high rise handlebars and banana seats back in the early 60's. Now we are stuck with StingRays, Krates, Eliminators, Spyders, etc. Those kids should have left those little bikes as alone. Now we have "rat rodders", WHAT NEXT, ratted StingRays!!!!:D:D I'm goin' ta hide all my classics before they get CHOPPED!

Last edited:
Rats "They Got One Too!"

Videorangers right on the Sting Ray story,It was rats and customs that started the whole highrise revolution, Next to come the rat bike bike bandwagon coming to a store near you, flat black paint,red painted and mismatched color rims and tires, pinstripe graphics,the return of 24 inch cuisers, Damm its here already, Walmart and Target beat us to it!:p LOL

Rat/Custom/Restore/Original

This is a very interesting topic. In my opinion it boils down to personal individuality. Theres no wrong answer in what your doing to your own
property, as long as your doing something. The shop that i worked with had a little bit of everything, from rat, to restored, to custom, and original.
Nobody was treated differently. Maybe things are different elsewhere, but the when swap & trade shows come around in the Fox Valley in Wi, as long as you two wheels, motor, or not, you're in the brotherhood...........
Thanks

Many have seen...

my bikes. I prefer to call them Hot Rod Bikes, as they are usually made up of entirely vintage parts, with updated running gears, though i do have a handful of Skip tooth customs as well. Here is one of my favorites as it certainly blurs all the stereotypical lines. It is a 50's Spitfire, sans fenders riding on 24" S2 36 hole creme w/black pins wheels (try finding a set of those!) strung on a nexus IHG 7 speed and front roller brake. Wides ape hangers and an early Messinger 'nanna seat. Even has vintage Continental 24 x 2.125 tires. Is it Rat? Is it Hot? Is it Custom? or is it a faithful recreation of something that started a revolution ~ in an adult friendly size :D You decide!

Spitty1-1.jpg

Spitty7-1.jpg

This is a debate that will never end, just as it never will end in the car world.I'm just glad that the crap rod segment(a car haphazardly thrown together will little concern for safety, crappy welds, dangerous suspension and brake setups, and the one that bugs me the most, mesh or no floors) have stayed away from bikes. Rat rods and customs are interpretations of their owners needs or wants in a particular bike, vehicle etc. Lastly in my opinion bikes are meant to be done with however their owner chooses I like almost all of them. Judging by all the accessories that were and are still sold bikes are meant to be customized if you want. A bike restored,ratted, or turned custom is just one more that doesn't go to the scrapper we should all be happy, the more of us there are the more history we can save.

Why be defensive about cutting up a bike?

I was into hot rods for a long time & occasionally met up with someone who thought that it was a sin to alter anything. They were usually people who have no creative talent. Bikes are no different. There's nothing wrong with cutting something up & changing things. These things are meant to enjoy. I would hesitate cutting up something that is truly rare or in great original condition but there are many bikes out there that are easily replaced. No offense intended.

Attachments

• MVC-576S.JPG
    MVC-576S.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 644
  • MVC-581S.JPG
    MVC-581S.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 678
  • IMG_3055.JPG
    IMG_3055.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 680
  • MVC-674S.JPG
    MVC-674S.JPG