When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

These handlebars are wrong, right? (1977 Stingray Five Speed)

-

cbustapeck

Wore out three sets of tires already!
s-l1600.jpg

So, I bought this December, 1977 Stingray Five Speed last night, and while I am waiting for it to pack and ship, I'm gathering parts.

To my eyes, the handlebars look wrong - but I know that there are some changes in later models that are not what I might be used to - so I wanted to ask before seeing out a taller replacement.

So, right or wrong?

Also, recommendation of reasonably priced brake pads? (I never like to cheap out on brakes, but $30 for pads?!)

Also, check out the condition of this seat!
s-l1600.jpg

While I am at it, are there any other obvious things that are wrong?

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Those are junior sized handlebars, I very often find them on the later model stingrays. This year I found two red 5-speeds, one had the short bars and one had the tall bars. So putting taller bars on them would be correct. Also the rear reflector is wrong, that's all I could see. The seat is a replacement, if I remember right it should have a solid blue seat without the mylar.

Those are junior sized handlebars, I very often find them on the later model stingrays. This year I found two red 5-speeds, one had the short bars and one had the tall bars. So putting taller bars on them would be correct. Also the rear reflector is wrong, that's all I could see. The seat is a replacement, if I remember right it should have a solid blue seat without the mylar.

Thank you. Do you have any thoughts as to why they would end up on them so often?

Thank you. Do you have any thoughts as to why they would end up on them so often?
They're dealer/buyer option. Some times dealer options them inside as a large store order and other, dealer add them for short people and short people don't got nobody. My 1981 24" Cruiser has em too. Yours Prob had em new too. You'll have to un-option em.

Last edited:
Are you saying that it is an aftermarket seat that someone put a Stingray tag on or just that it came from a later Stingray?

Back