When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crunchy bow pedals, how to disassemble and service?

-

BradCon

Look Ma, No Hands!
I’m working on a 61 Mark IVJaguar. I’m almost through the disassembly process. It’s time for the cranks and pedals to get attention. The pedals are fairly rusty and very crunchy when spinning. This is the first time I’ve torn a bike down to this level and I am being careful with it.
How can these be broken down, de-rusted, and greased( has to have bearings, right)? And guidance is appreciated. (I searched and did not find an answer before asking here)

If it is rebuildable at all (many bow pedals were not), the round cap over the end is a separate piece that can be popped off. Underneath might be a removable nut and a cone.... or not.

Except for the flattened section that you use to remove the pedal from the crank, I could not find another flat section to use with a wrench.
It looks like I should squeeze the pedal together and remove the ‘end cap’, but being cautious, I’m asking for some experience to help out. Squeezing by hand is not an option, so vise?

You need a vice. The nut on the threaded end will come off. Yes, there are bearings in there. The cap will pop off but takes some gentle force if you know what I mean.

You need a vice. The nut on the threaded end will come off. Yes, there are bearings in there. The cap will pop off but takes some gentle force if you know what I mean.
Do I need a square bit to hold the threaded part, while turning the nut?
Is there a guide or video for this?

Assuming a rebuildable version of the bow pedal:

Once the cap is off the end, you would hold the one end of the shaft (where the crank threads are) with a pedal wrench or a vice, using the flats as normal. Then, take off the nut at the cap end with a wrench. Under the nut will be a keyed washer that you can slide off, and then you can unscrew the bearing cone and it will all come apart. Do it over a pan if possible. If by some chance they used loose balls instead of a retainer, the balls will go everywhere.

If it is not rebuildable, then you will see one of two things. Either there is no nut under the cap, and they have just mashed the end of the shaft to hold the cone in, or there is a nut but they have mashed the end of the shaft so you can't take the nut off.

Assuming a rebuildable version of the bow pedal:

Once the cap is off the end, you would hold the one end of the shaft (where the crank threads are) with a pedal wrench or a vice, using the flats as normal. Then, take off the nut at the cap end with a wrench. Under the nut will be a keyed washer that you can slide off, and then you can unscrew the bearing cone and it will all come apart. Do it over a pan if possible. If by some chance they used loose balls instead of a retainer, the balls will go everywhere.

If it is not rebuildable, then you will see one of two things. Either there is no nut under the cap, and they have just mashed the end of the shaft to hold the cone in, or there is a nut but they have mashed the end of the shaft so you can't take the nut off.
Thank you!

I did not get the ends off and disassemble, but I am quite pleased as to how they turned out. Thanks for the help everybody.

Back