When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your NON-BICYCLE bicycle parts.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Bike from the Dead

I live for the CABE
Over on the Rat Rod Bikes forum, one guy started a thread there about using ordinary objects around the house on their custom bicycles. So I wanted to start a similar thread here. I want to see what sort of unorthodox objects and materials you either used or might use on a bicycle, and share some ideas of my own. Since I started this thread, I'll share pictures of most of my non-bicycle bicycle parts collection first.

- A 1930s Chevy e-brake I thought about using for a dummy engine/stealth cup holder idea,
- Some classic car chrome and stainless trim to use for dressing up custom wood tanks,
- And some G-gauge train tracks to use as art deco trim.

- A '50s or '60s Oldsmobile hubcap (not sure how to use it yet)
- Various chrome door handles for fender ornaments
- Some piece for electrical? Saw it as either a funky headlight bucket or maybe a tank.
- Old air conditioning control that could be part of a neat decoration for a trike or pedal car
- Old rake head that could be used as fake fuel and electrical lines for that fake engine idea I mentioned earlier.

- Industrial light cages for either steampunk headlights and taillights or fake engine cylinders/stealth cup holders
- Valves for other steampunk decor
- Funnel (not sure how I'd use it yet.)
- Watering can spout for fake engine parts

- Car trim and grill pieces (mostly VW) for dressing up custom tanks or fenders
- More valves and a gear for steampunk decor
- Some JC Higgins Colorflow headlight bezels that were in the same drawer as the rest of this stuff.

- Car and truck horn buttons for either tank decor, headlight covers or even headlight bezels
- Motorcycle gear for decor
- A plastic light lens from an emergency exit sign to use as a headlight lens
- Fence post toppers to use as headlight and taillight buckets
- Various automotive taillight and turn signal lenses to use for the same purpose on bikes
- Some 1964 Mercury Comet letters that I'd like to use on a bike made to look like my own 1964 Mercury Comet

- More car trim, hood ornaments and accessories
- Steel toe boot caps for either tank decor or something else
- Tiller stars for wheel spinners

I wish I knew what these pieces were originally from. I pulled them off a '48-'54 Chevy truck hood, but I doubt they were a factory option.

- 3 small bread or cake pans my parents were going to throw away. I think I could cut them up and use them as decorative license plates, or maybe fake engine bits
- An old iron. Not sure how I'll use it, but it's got a good shape.
- A bunch of small random pieces that could be used for decor

- A pallet full of wood scraps and other bits and pieces that I got for free through either Craigslist or FB Marketplace
- An old rusted-out toolbox
- An old... heater? I don't know, but I think this would make a killer rat rod pedal car or go kart grill.
- Conduit and circuits for a more cyberpunk-inspired build

-Something I'm tinkering with now: 3 small glass decorative plates that I'm thinking of turning into some psychedelic headlight lenses.

Well, that's the bulk of my collection of non-bicycle bicycle parts. Let me know what you would do with these parts, and feel free to share your own parts, pieces and ideas!

I like using things for their unintended purpose on custom bikes!! That's why I am always picking up unusual things I find on my wanderings.

The business end of a silver serving fork was used to attach the front of the rear fender on my 1919 Mead for example...

Back