When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question 28 in. Clad wood rims after 1931

-

HEMI426

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I have a Excelsior with 28 in. Clad wheels and 1 tube tires. My question is when did they stop making clad wheels for Schwinn bikes.

20201119_111902.jpg

20201119_111937.jpg

20201119_114913.jpg

I would research schwinn catalogs and figure out when they stopped offering a 28" wheeled bike. That might possibly indicated the last time they were offered. Some of the manufacturers went right up to WW2. If I had the '30's catalogs I would try to give you a better answer...

I have a Excelsior with 28 in. Clad wheels and 1 tube tires. My question is when did they stop making clad wheels for Schwinn bikes.
Can you please show a close up picture of your rims. I can't blow-up the images you posted very large but it seems what you have are metal clincher rims, not metal-clad wood rims. I could be wrong but a close up image would help.

Those are some FLAT profile rims, I think @New Mexico Brant is correct, my metal-clad wood wheels have a much deeper profile.
I do have a similar pair of FLAT profile clinchers on a 20's Hawthorne Flyer Motorbike.

Back