When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Actually Riding Your Classic or Antique Bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Maxacceleration

Finally riding a big boys bike
I see many aparrently riding their classic bikes for miles on end...
Ok, I get the comfort. Seating position, easy reach to the handlebars, comfy seat (maybe). Styling. Sounds good.
Its the gearing that gets me.
On a 50 pound bike (any Schwinn is a tank and I imagine others are too), one gear is a bastardization (and of course the way it was).
What looks to me is a 46x18 seems to be a popular ratio of gear/inches. Unless you are on the flat (or slightly downhill, tailwind etc), that ratio is useless. Start heading uphill, for me its stand and torque or turn around. You can't turn that gear fast enough.
Too many corroded chains & cracked tires for a dependable ride IMO.
So I'm guessing flat neighborhood rides mostly, and use another bike for actual fitness or pleasure rides. Are classic bike collectors even fit? (no offense meant)
To me... 2, 3 or 5 plus gears make for a much more enjoyable ride.
I am all for a sneaker 2 or 3 speed hub, damn the originality for actually having a better riding bike.

I like birdzgarage bikes. Generally multi gear riders, and my aim for my own rider. Other than that, I ride a multi gear gravel grinder for knocking out miles.
Whats say you all?

On a ride with some other local CABE members, I was on a 1954 Jaguar with a three speed hub. We came to a rise on the greenway and the single speeds slowed down, so I pulled out and went on around (in first gear). Somebody behind me said "That's cheating, you have gears!" I call @DonChristie as my witness!

Being in the PNW you need gears is there even a 2 mile ride without hills ? I agree I have a bunch of single speeds and I don't make the mistake of taking one on the wrong ride. For exercise or a longer meaniningful ride I use a 3 or 5 speed still vintage. I'm glad to still be able to stand up and pedal a ballooner up a hill. And sorry to say not everyone is cool enough to ride a vintage.

IMG_0019.jpg

On a ride with some other local CABE members, I was on a 1954 Jaguar with a three speed hub. We came to a rise on the greenway and the single speeds slowed down, so I pulled out and went on around (in first gear). Somebody behind me said "That's cheating, you have gears!" I call @DonChristie as my witness!
I think I yelled that at you, Joel! All mine are single speed riders. I give the roadies hell saying, 8 miles on a 50 lb single speed equates to 30 miles on a 10 lb bike with gears! They get mad! Lol

Back