When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone built a Twin Bar from a Schwinn cantilever frame?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
70FAFC20-34EB-4D1D-87B3-E578CF816369.jpeg

9117A36C-C1C3-4E4E-87A0-C157BDB94AFA.jpeg

42F40469-BCEE-4C9A-9C9F-2313E8EABEF8.jpeg

05C03DD1-22B1-4D47-871D-F83AC5B4C8D0.jpeg

I definitely like where this is going.

I am working on figuring out the seating arrangement. Resting on the rear axle makes the most sense, both for structure and the shape of my body, but I am not sure how I am getting there yet.

Do it!

One big thought:
I would strongly strongly consider keeping the seat clamp in place until you are 100% sure of how the seat is to be held in place. I am thinking about a banana seat, which would still need a clamp, even if the vast majority of the weight would be over the rear axle.

More likely, though, I am going to trade it off to the guy at my bike shop, less the wheels, in trade for wheelbuilding for my Luxury Liner. (It's not that I don't like it, it's that I initially bought it for the wheels, and I would rather have the Luxury Liner on the road than this bike.)

It's also worth noting that it got the fun accessories that it did because I already had them on hand and had not been able to use them. The build was partially an excuse to use said accessories.

All that said:
DO IT!

Do it!

One big thought:
I would strongly strongly consider keeping the seat clamp in place until you are 100% sure of how the seat is to be held in place. I am thinking about a banana seat, which would still need a clamp, even if the vast majority of the weight would be over the rear axle.

More likely, though, I am going to trade it off to the guy at my bike shop, less the wheels, in trade for wheelbuilding for my Luxury Liner. (It's not that I don't like it, it's that I initially bought it for the wheels, and I would rather have the Luxury Liner on the road than this bike.)

It's also worth noting that it got the fun accessories that it did because I already had them on hand and had not been able to use them. The build was partially an excuse to use said accessories.

All that said:
DO IT!
You aren't planning on trading this bike project before you finish it, are you? I really want to see what this would look and ride like in a finished state.

You aren't planning on trading this bike project before you finish it, are you? I really want to see what this would look and ride like in a finished state.
I am.

The lines of this bike are as close to perfect as I can make them, except for maybe some minor details.

I’ve thought long and hard about seating options, and everything that I have come up with detracts from the aesthetics or costs far more than I care to spend, and might even not look right once done.

I may have brought this bicycle as far as I can. It may be time for someone else to use their creativity to bring it to completion.

It is also a matter of financial choices: I’d rather have the wheels built for my Luxury Liner and finish that project than keep this one around while I think about it.

I am.

The lines of this bike are as close to perfect as I can make them, except for maybe some minor details.

I’ve thought long and hard about seating options, and everything that I have come up with detracts from the aesthetics or costs far more than I care to spend, and might even not look right once done.

I may have brought this bicycle as far as I can. It may be time for someone else to use their creativity to bring it to completion.

It is also a matter of financial choices: I’d rather have the wheels built for my Luxury Liner and finish that project than keep this one around while I think about it.
I understand. Still, it would be an interesting experiment to play around with. I might be testing it out on this trike I'm building right now, but I might see about getting a cheap Huffy or something to do some more thorough experimentation on this idea.

I understand. Still, it would be an interesting experiment to play around with. I might be testing it out on this trike I'm building right now, but I might see about getting a cheap Huffy or something to do some more thorough experimentation on this idea.
What do you want to know? Save yourself some hassles. I can tell you pretty much from experience on cantilever style frames. There's reasons I don't care for them both aesthetically & build wise

What do you want to know? Save yourself some hassles. I can tell you pretty much from experience on cantilever style frames. There's reasons I don't care for them both aesthetically & build wise
Well, I'm mostly hoping to figure this out for my Poison Apple muscle trike build. I don't know if you saw the latest update to it, but I'm thinking of removing the seat tube and original top tube, and converting the frame into a boy's cantilever style frame, sans seat tube, but with the headset angled back and the tank portion all welded to the frame. Like this bike, I plan to put the seat over the rear axle, except mine's a trike, and the rear axle is behind the bike frame. I want to know if my idea would still be strong and rigid enough to work, especially with a 250lb guy riding it.

Well, I'm mostly hoping to figure this out for my Poison Apple muscle trike build. I don't know if you saw the latest update to it, but I'm thinking of removing the seat tube and original top tube, and converting the frame into a boy's cantilever style frame, sans seat tube, but with the headset angled back and the tank portion all welded to the frame. Like this bike, I plan to put the seat over the rear axle, except mine's a trike, and the rear axle is behind the bike frame. I want to know if my idea would still be strong and rigid enough to work, especially with a 250lb guy riding it.
I don't know about 250 lbs on most standard bikes but as long as all the weight isn't on where the seat tube is removed it should be fine. On twin tube stuff like cantilevers the seat tube helps distribute the weight to keep it from collapsing/cracking the frames. They're engineered almost like a car's leaf spring but not meant to flex via seat tube. I say too much weight over the rear tire or tires in your case of a trike conversion & it will wheelie or pop up. I would still try to go in front of the axle and after the original seat post as my main weight point

Back