When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939-1941 CWC Four Gills

-
Serial number D73270. This is an uncirculated bike from out east. The gentleman I purchased it from has had it in his house since 1989 when he received it free from a lady he did some work for. He told me he had gotten two of them at that time and gave one away. Oops.
First thing I checked for when I received it was the original paint, there was none. It was taken down to the metal and primed then painted red and white.
When I removed the paint from the fenders and tank I could see the original paint pattern plain as day even the scallops on the frame are there. I had planned on at least painting the fenders but when I found that original pattern I figured this is as close to original as I’m going to get and left it alone. I painted over the Western Flyer on the tank with a burnt orange and cleared over everything.
Now the guard has left a perfect circle around the frame where both mounts are. Telling me it was on the bike from day one when it left the store and had preserved the original paint under it until it was repainted. I know the catalog shows the wrap around guard but doesn’t seem to be the case here. It also has the art deco stem that would be hard to believe that it was ever changed out considering everything else is as it should be. The rear fender brace rivets were barely holding on so I put two bolts in instead.
The bike itself is very clean not pitted or cracked no repairs it will be a great candidate for a restoration some day maybe.
Whatever the case there it is and I am very happy to have it.

Thanks for checking it out.

What it is starting to look like now. Need lenses for the front lights I sent the seat in today for a new cover. I do have the rear rack but haven’t gotten that far yet (maybe tomorrow). It is missing the rear light. Need pedals yet also.

Serial number D73270. This is an uncirculated bike from out east. The gentleman I purchased it from has had it in his house since 1989 when he received it free from a lady he did some work for. He told me he had gotten two of them at that time and gave one away. Oops.
First thing I checked for when I received it was the original paint, there was none. It was taken down to the metal and primed then painted red and white.
When I removed the paint from the fenders and tank I could see the original paint pattern plain as day even the scallops on the frame are there. I had planned on at least painting the fenders but when I found that original pattern I figured this is as close to original as I’m going to get and left it alone. I painted over the Western Flyer on the tank with a burnt orange and cleared over everything.
Now the guard has left a perfect circle around the frame where both mounts are. Telling me it was on the bike from day one when it left the store and had preserved the original paint under it until it was repainted. I know the catalog shows the wrap around guard but doesn’t seem to be the case here. It also has the art deco stem that would be hard to believe that it was ever changed out considering everything else is as it should be. The rear fender brace rivets were barely holding on so I put two bolts in instead.
The bike itself is very clean not pitted or cracked no repairs it will be a great candidate for a restoration some day maybe.

View attachment 1273841

View attachment 1273842
What it is starting to look like now. Need lenses for the front lights I sent the seat in today for a new cover. I do have the rear rack but haven’t gotten that far yet (maybe tomorrow). It is missing the rear light. Need pedals yet also.
View attachment 1273843

View attachment 1273844

View attachment 1273845

View attachment 1273846

View attachment 1273847

View attachment 1273848

View attachment 1273849

View attachment 1273850

View attachment 1273851

View attachment 1273852
Looking good Chad I'm glad it found you! I'm glad the chevrons and other details were etched into the metal.

View attachment 1273841

View attachment 1273842
View attachment 1273843

View attachment 1273844

View attachment 1273845

View attachment 1273846

View attachment 1273847

View attachment 1273848

View attachment 1273849

View attachment 1273850

View attachment 1273851

View attachment 1273852

Thats some amazing patina! Never seen paint leave shadows of where it used to be on a bike like that before

Here's another 4 gill , was found in a barn. There's no headbadge to the bike it was missing. Serial number starts with a G. I don't believe the fork is correct to the bike. But again I'm no expert. Solid tank and bike. Appears to have been red in color at some point. There's a horn button in the tank , with battery tray and a switch. But the front fender has no holes for fender light nor does the truss plate have any holes in it for headlights. Info would be cool on this bike!

Here's another 4 gill , was found in a barn. There's no headbadge to the bike it was missing. Serial number starts with a G. I don't believe the fork is correct to the bike. But again I'm no expert. Solid tank and bike. Appears to have been red in color at some point. There's a horn button in the tank , with battery tray and a switch. But the front fender has no holes for fender light nor does the truss plate have any holes in it for headlights. Info would be cool on this bike!
View attachment 1318935

View attachment 1318937

View attachment 1318938

View attachment 1318939

View attachment 1318940
I agree fork is probably wrong from what I can see. Likely had a set up like my bike

View attachment 1318935

View attachment 1318937

View attachment 1318938

View attachment 1318939

View attachment 1318940
Judging by the rack and chain ring I highly suspect that bike was originally badged as a Western Flyer. V/r Shawn

Back