When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1995? Kona Humuhumunukunukuapua'a Cruiser/Klunker Project

-

sworley

I live for the CABE
I'm pretty stoked about this recent acquisition. I've wanted either a Kona Humuhumunukunukuapua'a or A'ha (especially the star and bars version! See @Dizzle Problems nice example here) for years now but they're just not that common, especially in Iowa or anywhere near here.

This one popped up on eBay (I have had this as a saved search for years) and I was a bit tempted to mash the BIN button on it right away as it's an 18'' and an early example without canti posts. But it's a bit rough and built with pretty much garbage replacement parts. Plus, thanks to some asinine ruling, eBay now tacks a nice state sales tax rate onto a used, gd 25-year-old bicycle (or anything bought online, fair enough) so it was going to be a pretty penny all in with shipping.

Well, the guy's eBay ad had a pretty unique background with a lot of other bicycles. A quick Craigslist search in his major metropolis easily revealed his cell number so I gave him a call. It was nice to talk about more details of the bike and I learned he was 1.) sick of folks messaging him about minute details of the bike. 2.) very keen on selling outside of eBay. We met on a nicely discounted price and I PayPal'd him right away.

Today the bike arrived and I'm quite happy with it! Yes, the paint is pretty beat up and there's some surface rust but the frame is free of dents and is straight. I already have a horde of high-end parts ready to slap on. This should make an awesome klunker for singletrack, around town, and maybe even some gravel rides. I'll be sure to keep updates posted here.

Side note: does anyone know how to decipher Kona serial numbers? This bike is not in the 1994 catalog and the 1995 catalog version is a different color and has canti posts. SN is J93101142

thumbnail_IMG_3314.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3313.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3315.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3316.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3317.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3320.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3321.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3318.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty stoked about this recent acquisition. I've wanted either a Kona Humuhumunukunukuapua'a or A'ha (especially the star and bars version!) for years now but they're just not that common, especially in Iowa or anywhere near here.

This one popped up on eBay (I have had this as a saved search for years) and I was a bit tempted to mash the BIN button on it right away as it's an 18'' and an early example without canti posts. But it's a bit rough and built with pretty much garbage replacement parts. Plus, thanks to some asinine ruling, eBay now tacks a nice state sales tax rate onto a used, gd 25-year-old bicycle (or anything bought online, fair enough) so it was going to be a pretty penny all in with shipping.

Well, the guy's eBay ad had a pretty unique background with a lot of other bicycles. A quick Craigslist search in his major metropolis easily revealed his cell number so I gave him a call. It was nice to talk about more details of the bike and I learned he was 1.) sick of folks messaging him about minute details of the bike. 2.) very keen on selling outside of eBay. We met on a nicely discounted price and I PayPal'd him right away.

Today the bike arrived and I'm quite happy with it! Yes, the paint is pretty beat up and there's some surface rust but the frame is free of dents and is straight. I already have a horde of high-end parts ready to slap on. This should make an awesome klunker for singletrack, around town, and maybe even some gravel rides. I'll be sure to keep updates posted here.

Side note: does anyone know how to decipher Kona serial numbers? This bike is not in the 1994 catalog and the 1995 catalog version is a different color and has canti posts. SN is J93101142

View attachment 1331173

View attachment 1331174

View attachment 1331175

View attachment 1331176

View attachment 1331177

View attachment 1331178

View attachment 1331179

View attachment 1331180
Good job on your detective work there. It should be a fun build.

Some progress last night. The local shop did a lot for me as far as facing the headtube, getting the rest of the old bottom bracket out, and prepping my fork crown for the 27.0 crown race.

I brought it home and installed the Chris King headset and mocked up some parts. I have two different Araya 7x wheelsets to choose from and some different tires. Next up I need to find a sealed ISO taper BB for these cranks.

thumbnail_IMG_3370.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3377.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3372.jpg

I've thoroughly waxed the frame and fork while my LBS trued/tensioned the wheels and removed some dents in the sidewalls. Conveniently, the seller from BMXmuseam left out the fact that these rims were thrashed. Should be straight enough for a coaster brake cruiser, though. Those matching high-flange black Shimano MX hubs and thick spokes had me like :hearteyes: :hearteyes: :hearteyes:

I also got a red anodized seatpost, a chainring and chainring bolts in the meantime. I still need to track down a bottom bracket.

thumbnail_IMG_3434.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3436.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3437.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3439.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3441.jpg

Last edited:
Back