When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Earl , Model C, ~1900

-

FreedomMachinist

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello Everybody.

I`m new to this forum but not new to the hobby of old bicycles - I already have a few older bikes in my posession, so far strictly German brands, from the 1930s down to 1907.

But now my newest member of the familly is an American made machine, which came to Germany presumeably shortly before the first bicycle crisis around the turn of the century, when many inexpensive Yankee-machines flooded the European markets ;)

I`m kind of proud having such a beatifull bike in my collection - the preserved state is excellent and far beyond many of my younger vehicles . I also have to state that I am really impressed by the quality of this machine, very good craftsmenship bundled with a nice design: light, slim and elegant but yet still strong.

I would be interested to know the year of built and if anything on the bike might have been changed - to me everything looks and feels not only period correct but also originaly equipped to the bicylce, except the headlight of course- presumably laterns where optional at this time, just like in Germany, until the post WW2 era.

The head badge states:
A.D. Meiselbach
Earl
N.Milwaukee, Wis
Model C

The serial number under the badge says:
EB 1121 C

could also be:
EE 1121 0

Note:
The white color of the serial number is residue from the white hard wax I use to polish the frame. The rest of the bicyle is in orginal color.
I have not painted or altered the bike whatsoever, I only cleaned, waxed and polished all parts, being especially carefull in the areas with those detailed ornaments.
It even still has what seems to be the original tubular tires on it- the rearside is even still holding air.

I think this orignial state makes the bike very special :)

From my judgement the bike seems to be a bit younger than the one from user "Bent spokes"

Link:
The EARL model E ---- Any information ? | Antique Bicycles Pre-1933 | The Classic and Antique Bicycle Exchange (thecabe.com)

Any cataloge-scans or information whatsoever on the bicycle or the Earl brand in general would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks in advance and greets from Germany

Jochen

Thanks Ricker - yes, its very neat. Also the whole drivetrain (blockchain+sproket) is in great condition - I think it is ridebale, but i don`t dare putting any pressure on the wheels and saddle.

For some pleasure rides, I`m building a rideable set of wheels at the moment and maybe somebody has an optical matching saddle for sale ? (or just a matching saddle frame/springs).

Thanks

welcome to the site
great bicycle, love the color, the stencils and the matching tires
seat looks to be a Garford
Paul Watson is great for restorations of you could buy one of his reproductions
beautiful .... I am somewhat envious, all I find are black TOC bikes

Last edited:
Hello Everybody.

I`m new to this forum but not new to the hobby of old bicycles - I already have a few older bikes in my posession, so far strictly German brands, from the 1930s down to 1907.

But now my newest member of the familly is an American made machine, which came to Germany presumeably shortly before the first bicycle crisis around the turn of the century, when many inexpensive Yankee-machines flooded the European markets ;)

View attachment 1335218

I`m kind of proud having such a beatifull bike in my collection - the preserved state is excellent and far beyond many of my younger vehicles . I also have to state that I am really impressed by the quality of this machine, very good craftsmenship bundled with a nice design: light, slim and elegant but yet still strong.
View attachment 1335220

View attachment 1335221

I would be interested to know the year of built and if anything on the bike might have been changed - to me everything looks and feels not only period correct but also originaly equipped to the bicylce, except the headlight of course- presumably laterns where optional at this time, just like in Germany, until the post WW2 era.

The head badge states:
A.D. Meiselbach
Earl
N.Milwaukee, Wis
Model C

View attachment 1335224

The serial number under the badge says:
EB 1121 C

could also be:
EE 1121 0

View attachment 1335223

Note:
The white color of the serial number is residue from the white hard wax I use to polish the frame. The rest of the bicyle is in orginal color.
I have not painted or altered the bike whatsoever, I only cleaned, waxed and polished all parts, being especially carefull in the areas with those detailed ornaments.
It even still has what seems to be the original tubular tires on it- the rearside is even still holding air.

I think this orignial state makes the bike very special :)

View attachment 1335216

View attachment 1335217

View attachment 1335218

View attachment 1335222

From my judgement the bike seems to be a bit younger than the one from user "Bent spokes"

Link:
The EARL model E ---- Any information ? | Antique Bicycles Pre-1933 | The Classic and Antique Bicycle Exchange (thecabe.com)

Any cataloge-scans or information whatsoever on the bicycle or the Earl brand in general would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks in advance and greets from Germany

Jochen

View attachment 1335219

I would like to know the paint code if you ever get the paint scanned by an auto paint shop or if you have paint cards
I am redoing a TOC bike in green and would very much like to use this green

Back