When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

which wheels and tires

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Hukah

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi
I recently became the somewhat proud (it's another story) owner of a '40' Hiawatha double arced top bar bare frame with headbadge.
I have the fork chosen and the fenders bought and the chain guard and rear rack in paint, but the one thing I have not decided on is what tires and rims I'm going to use.
The paint scheme is going to be black and white with red chrome accents.
I am hoping that there are some here that will help me make the best choice I can with the limited knowledge I have, lol.

I found these tires on the bay and thought they would go good with my color palette but I wonder if they are of good quality?
Are they a good road tire, where most of it's riding will be done?
Or what do you recommend?

Thanks to all of you for your help

I do not see any pictures of 'these tires' (yet?) but might recommend economy Duro tires, they come in black, clay, cream, other colors, white-walls, gum-walls, and other color walls; I have recently seen options for white-walls with colored stripes. The colors depend on preferences, and color-coordination. For example, reddish-clay tires may clash a bit with red rims, white-walls with white rims, etc. Another consideration may be cleanliness and durability - seems like cream tires and white-walls might degrade faster than black-wall. For a balloon tire bike used on roads, I like the diamond tread (Goodyear) and the small brick tread (Schwinn); there is also a more-bumpy studded/knobby tread.

Tires with a reflective stipe for extra safety may cost a bit more; such as those from $chwalbe.; I like their Fat Frank tread and their Big Apple tread.

Be careful of tires sold in a box that are advertised to replace a whole range of tire sizes; (it usually means it is the narrowest size that still fits the same rim).

By the way, the red Derby (sold in that other post) was a Snyder-built bike.

Last edited:
I do not see any pictures of 'these tires' (yet?) but might recommend economy Duro tires, they come in black, clay, cream, other colors, white-walls, gum-walls, and other color walls; I have recently seen options for white-walls with colored stripes.
.......Another consideration may be cleanliness and durability - seems like cream tires and white-walls might degrade faster than black-wall.

For a balloon tire bike used on roads, I like the diamond tread (Goodyear) and the small brick tread (Schwinn); there is also a more-bumpy studded/knobby tread. For $chwalbe, I like their Fat Frank tread and their Big Apple tread.

By the way, the red Derby sold in that other post was a Snyder-built bike.
Thanks archie.
Duros is what they happen to be. I thought they might compliment the red and the "stone white" in the paint but I definitely understand your point about clashing.
So you think these are decent tires then?

Thanks

hiawatha y.jpg

hiawatha x.jpg

I have 2 pairs like those; I mix and match the small brick (front) with the diamond tread (rear); the clay/cream provides color, and hides road dirt better than the all-white or cream. I think those tires even go well with just regular anodized aluminum rims. But it is a matter of style and preference.

Sometimes, I have found that some tires seem to be more slippery, in regard to staying on the rim; it may be important to clean (rubbing alcohol?) any mold-release agents remaining on the tire bead. (Some may blame the rims).

There are some reproduction tires similar to those, with the chain tread; (but they might cost a little bit more?).

Last edited:
I'd go with either chrome or painted drop centers with ND hubs and John's Chain Treads. V/r Shawn

I've read quite a bit about John's chain treads thanks to this post.
They do look nice in the photos and everyone that orders says they can't believe how nice they are, so much so that I feel I'd be cheating myself if I didn't at least get one pair of them to try out.
You've convinced me to go with John's.

Thanks again for your help fellas.

tires with a rounded profile (like those duro brick tread) ride better than those with a flatter profile.

schwalbe fat franks are premium riders: round profile, high quality compound, kevlar belt, lightweight sidewalls.

tires with a rounded profile (like those duro brick tread) ride better than those with a flatter profile.
I've meant to ask that question but kept forgetting to.
*I bought a new set (rounded profile) for my e-bike from ebay that looked great but are scary as hell when taking a corner at 20MPH.
I replaced them with a pair of used ones from a modern Huffy and I can take a corner at 20 with no problem now, so definitely need to put emphasis on that aspect of tires.
Good info.
Maybe worthy of a thread alone?

Back