When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Repair or Not This Rear Drop Split, Is It Worth It? Is it even possible?

-
I believe that would be a fairly easy repair. My concern is that this normally occurs when water gets in the tube, freezes, and expands causing the crack. That said are there any other areas that show signs of bulging or rust through? A five speed on a prewar? V/r Shawn
It is a Prewar DX converted to a mountain bike modeled after Alan Bond's hybrid. 18 speeds.

If you're going to use it as a mountain bike then definitely check the frame carefully. Taking that off a sweet jump could be dangerous! V/r Shawn
Correct. Thanks. Im not gonna use it as a mountain bike. I checked the rest of the frame and it looks good. This is the only 1 inch split/crack I found.

Correct. Thanks. Im not gonna use it as a mountain bike. I checked the rest of the frame and it looks good. This is the only 1 inch split/crack I found.
I had a similar problem with a frame, and there was freeze cracks as well as rust out. An alternative place that you might consider getting it welded would be a good radiator shop, one that has been open a long time so that they have really good experience with all kinds of welding. You might also get the best price for the work done there. If that was around here, I would reckon it could be welded for $20-$40 would be my guess.

I had a similar problem with a frame, and there was freeze cracks as well as rust out. An alternative place that you might consider getting it welded would be a good radiator shop, one that has been open a long time so that they have really good experience with all kinds of welding. You might also get the best price for the work done there. If that was around here, I would reckon it could be welded for $20-$40 would be my guess.
Good muffler shop is another option. Try to stay away from brass if possible

Back