When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTF?!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

rustyjones

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Has anyone ever seen this before? WTF?! I can't even get a wrench on it!!

20210127_101753.jpg

20210127_101803.jpg

20210127_101806.jpg

20210127_101747.jpg

Looks like the stem crawled out of the steerer tube and engulfed the stem bolt.
Perhaps you could flip the bicycle over and pour a bunch of rust dissolver(take your pick
on the solution) and tap the stem and binder bolt from the bottom.
Looks like it has been that way for awhile, so there may not be a good outcome.
rusty

I would start by trying to get as much penetrent (do not use WD 40--would be useless) as possible into the steer tube from the bottom side. Then with a wire brush in a drill remove as much rust as possible so you can get a pruchese on the bolt for your wrench, I wouldn't be surprised if the bolt snapped.

Thanks for the ideas guys, so far Catfish's seems like the most fun! I have been scratching my head over this one for years and just recently had the idea to use a drill bit (the same diameter as the bolt shaft) and drill straight down into the bolt head until it seperates from it's shaft. It will ruin the bolt but oh well. Anyone try this before? is there any reason why I shouldn't do this?

Thanks for the ideas guys, so far Catfish's seems like the most fun! I have been scratching my head over this one for years and just recently had the idea to use a drill bit (the same diameter as the bolt shaft) and drill straight down into the bolt head until it seperates from it's shaft. It will ruin the bolt but oh well. Anyone try this before? is there any reason why I shouldn't do this?
That will work, I've done it before, though not in this particular situation. Is the top of the stem counter-bored or is the head that shallow? If it's counter-bored, the bore is so full of rust you can't even see it, but on this stem that could be possible.

If all the other idea's fail you could take the head off a one size smaller grade 8 bolt and tig weld it to the top of that bolt. Grind it shinny for good weld, use heat. Tap head tube with hammer to losen rust inside when using PB blaster penatrateing fluid. If the bolt head brakes off you could drill a hole and try an EZ out. Good Luck.

Back